Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peglomaniac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Saskatchewan Canada
I have an 8TB external drive, partitioned into two volumes, a 7TB volume and a 1 TB volume.

I use the 7TB for CCC backups as well as other things, and the 1TB volume for Time Machine backups.

The 7TB was down to 254GB of space available, so I trashed over 3TB of unneeded CCC files (SafeyNet folders) and emptied the trash.

The Finder and DiskUtility both still report that I have WAY less than I should ... the available space (reported) never did go up, in fact, it keeps going down. That was about a month ago, and since then, the 'free' space has decreased to 155GB in both Finder and DiskUtility.

I have shown invisibles, calculated all sizes, and I come up with approximately 3.3TB used, so there should be at least that much also available.

I have restarted my computer a bunch of times (it was a month ago I trashed the 3TB + and emptied the trash), I have physically unplugged the drive from the Mac and the power source, when I mount it again, it still says only 155Gb of free space.

How do I get it to accurately display the available space?

MBP Mid 2019
MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1
Seagate Backup+ Hub 8TB external disk

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Have you tried running Disk Utility First Aid on it?

CCC can write snapshots to destination disks, What does CCC say about snapshot space used on the drive? Here is my CCC destination drive.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 16.26.26.png

I like DaisyDisk for fast analysis of space (except the useless graphic)

If none of that solves anything I would format the disk. If that doesn't get back to 8TB the drive must be faulty.

peglomaniac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Saskatchewan Canada
Have you tried running Disk Utility First Aid on it?

CCC can write snapshots to destination disks, What does CCC say about snapshot space used on the drive? Here is my CCC destination drive.

View attachment 2377935

I like DaisyDisk for fast analysis of space (except the useless graphic)

If none of that solves anything I would format the disk. If that doesn't get back to 8TB the drive must be faulty.
Thank you, I will check all this out, starting with running Disk First Aid (no, I had not done that). I'll report back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.