Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I remember in the keynote it being mentioned that we’ll be able to use external webcams with the iPad for Zoom and FaceTime. Does anyone know if that’s been enabled yet? I use my iPad with my studio display a lot but haven’t figured out how to switch to the display’s camera, although I figured it might not be active yet. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Can't speak for the Studio Display, but it is working in FaceTime for regular webcams. It switches automatically when plugged in, and need to unplug it to use the built-in camera. Other apps will likely get support once they've been updated for iPadOS 17, which won't be until Apple starts accepting app updates.

For the Studio Display support, perhaps you need to be running the Studio Display 17 Firmware beta as well?

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I remember in the keynote it being mentioned that we’ll be able to use external webcams with the iPad for Zoom and FaceTime. Does anyone know if that’s been enabled yet? I use my iPad with my studio display a lot but haven’t figured out how to switch to the display’s camera, although I figured it might not be active yet. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!
You can use it only in FaceTime currently. Once Ipad OS 17 is fully released then app developers will need to update their apps to take advantage of this. I would think this would be done on the day of release for Ipad OS 17.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
You can use it only in FaceTime currently. Once Ipad OS 17 is fully released then app developers will need to update their apps to take advantage of this. I would think this would be done on the day of release for Ipad OS 17.
One would think. I am surprised that Zoom and Teams haven’t been updated to support this feature yet, given the time they’ve had to work on this with the iOS 17 bets. My video in Zoom and Teams is always rotated 90º when used with a Magic Keyboard and external monitor.

Reactions: holthaum

targa88

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2021
Is this under the same category (like Stage manager) that only works with M1 iPads?
Trie plugging in a Logitech Webcam to an iPad 9th gen while using FaceTime with no result. Webcam would not power up...
There is conflicting /anecdotal information that suggests USB-C iPads and maybe USB-A (webcams with an adapter)..

Last edited:

holthaum

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
One would think. I am surprised that Zoom and Teams haven’t been updated to support this feature yet, given the time they’ve had to work on this with the iOS 17 bets. My video in Zoom and Teams is always rotated 90º when used with a Magic Keyboard and external monitor.
Exactly the same behavior here with a Logitech Brio 4K and Zoom 5.16.0 (the newest one yet). I don't understand how Zoom didn't include the feature and still includes the bug with the camera rotated 90 degrees. There are regular updates and there was time enough since WWDC they would have had enough. The camera itself is not the problem, in FaceTime this works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.