Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
hey

I created a Facebook account and I signed up with the wrong email, will the person who's email I accidentally used be able to get the password I used to create the Facebook account?

Thanks

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
To reset a password you need a valid email. Since you used someone else's email they can easily change the password and you really can't do anything about it.
I'm not bothered about that I'm just worried if they can view the email I had

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm not bothered about that I'm just worried if they can view the email I had

They can access their email account, you can access your email account, Facebook has nothing to do with email access, if you use someone else's email, they can access that one FB account.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
I would log into Facebook if you can and delete that account entirely. Then create a new one with the correct email and an entirely different password.

Or just don't use facebook.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
They can access their email account, you can access your email account, Facebook has nothing to do with email access, if you use someone else's email, they can access that one FB account.
What I mean is, I'm not bothered if they can get in to the account because it's a new one, I'm just worrried they may be able to see the password I used for the account

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yes, I had wondered about that, too.

Just as some additional FYI (which may bore you to tears :D) ... many/most systems store passwords using one way cryptographic hash, so they can't directly decrypt your password, they can only check a supplied password against the stored, encrypted password. So even people with direct access to the user account data (like internal support/dev folks) would have to brute force decrypt ( which would involve getting the hash code, the password, and just trying passwords which with a good password is generally pretty infeasible with available computing power).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.