Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
This is FYI and also possibly discussion.

So, my launch day iPhone 13 Pro Max. I can either sit the phone down less than gently or tap the back at the top and FaceID stops recognizing me. Either tap the phone screen against my chest or hand it starts working again. My phone has not been dropped or mistreated in any way.

I made sure it was in the “broken” state and called Apple Support and of course they blame the iOS 17 beta and software, since their diagnostics did not find an issue with FaceID. It is obvious this is a hardware issue, since there is a “workaround” not involving the OS.

FYI, the “Move iPhone Lower” message (in the Setup an Alternate Appearance) I received before finding the “workaround” on Reddit. During that setup, if it is in the “broken” state, the screen will alternate showing your face clear and blurry.

I have AppleCare+ and could push for advanced replacement and say accidental damage to get a refurb phone (new battery too), but would have to pay $99. I don’t feel I should have to do that though. I guess I will just wait till iOS 17 is released in a month and then call back to prove the issue again, as long as the “workaround” continues to work.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, definitely a hardware issue. Personally I’d go ahead & restore it to 16.6 to get it replaced, rather than waiting another month+ for iOS 17. But it’s up to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.