Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
PlayShare looks like something I would really like, but coming to think of it, the loved ones I would like to share in most of the time with live overseas in a different country.

Would it be possible to do this or do both parties have to be in the same country for it to work?

It really annoys me that I can't do family sharing with overseas immediate family members.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
My guess is it works as long as all of you have a license to the content being shared (e.g. Apple Music and the song - album is available for all of you, TV+ content or a movie bought from iTunes).

The bigger question is, does SharePlay work with family sharing groups (e.g. I‘m the guy that buys every movie and shares them via family sharing to my family, can I buy that new blockbuster and have my dad join me via SharePlay?).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
My guess is it works as long as all of you have a license to the content being shared (e.g. Apple Music and the song - album is available for all of you, TV+ content or a movie bought from iTunes).

The bigger question is, does SharePlay work with family sharing groups (e.g. I‘m the guy that buys every movie and shares them via family sharing to my family, can I buy that new blockbuster and have my dad join me via SharePlay?).
I found this note on apple.com:
consider supporting Family Sharing to make it easy for family members to share your content in a SharePlay experience
which implies that if the other person has access to the content via Family Sharing, then it will work with SharePlay.

Reactions: TimFL1

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I found this note on apple.com:

which implies that if the other person has access to the content via Family Sharing, then it will work with SharePlay.
I suppose the limiting factor then is that since we can't family share across different countries, then this feature is limited to domestic family only.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I suppose the limiting factor then is that since we can't family share across different countries, then this feature is limited to domestic family only.
I think you might've misunderstood.

They're saying you can SharePlay content shared in your family with other people.

SharePlay should work fine internationally - the person who initiates sharing becomes the host device.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Depends on whether everyone in the SharePlay session has a license to the content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.