Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terrasita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
Hello! I really need to figure out how to fake my gps location. I have tried several apps but none of them actually work. I read up a bit on other options like using the apple developer software to edit the code. It's sort of beyond my skills though. Is this the only way it can be done? I'm using a windows machine too which makes it even more difficult I believe. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Depending on who you're trying to deceive, it's not really possible to spoof your location as the iPhone also uses cell tower triangulation and wifi location along with GPS. Your cell phone service provider always knows generally where you are if your phone is active and there's no way to turn that off.

terrasita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
Depending on who you're trying to deceive, it's not really possible to spoof your location as the iPhone also uses cell tower triangulation and wifi location along with GPS. Your cell phone service provider always knows generally where you are if your phone is active and there's no way to turn that off.

Well, I use an app that tracks when I log in and out of it with gps location. Was hoping to try and and trick the app into thinking I was somewhere I wasn't... :)

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
I used to do this with a certain "pocket monster" game before I sold my account (I know, boo).

Get XCode, create a blank app, sign it for use on your device, run it on your chosen device. Create a gpx file and set the location once you run the app, based on lat/lon coordinates.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
No way! I might be looking to do something suspicious but it's not a big deal (definitely not cheating!)

Well there are all manner of places to start. I'd start with this, though:

AskYourself.jpg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
When out I'll occasionally switch my location to my iPad (which is at home) instead of my iPhone. I've only done this in find my friends for a friends surprise birthday because we knew he knew if there wouldn't have been a surprise party if I wasn't there.

Reactions: terrasita

terrasita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
VPN works, tunnelbear is a free one. I also had one through AVAST. You can set where it thinks you are.
I do have a VPN - Nord. But the problem is I honestly don't know if I can figure all this out haha. It's all above my head unfortunately!
[doublepost=1533822492][/doublepost]
Well there are all manner of places to start. I'd start with this, though:

Ha. Well I'm probably not tech savvy enough to figure all this out, but that's the only reason I would call myself an idiot - not because I'm trying to change my gps location. Not going to argue with the morality police though.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
On a jailbroken iPhone/iPad, you can use an mod called Location Faker. I use it to sometimes make people think I am in Spain on Facebook or Twitter and Instagram. Every time I use it on Facebook, I get a welcome to Barcelona or wherever I am pretending to be at. You can whitelist any app that you don't want to fake the location of which is very useful so that you can keep Location Faker running 24/7.

Image-1.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sometimes faking your GPS location is good when you want access to different versions of the app store.

I've used in the past to show that I was in the middle of the runways at Heathrow Airport. That prevented the App store from rejecting my UK Apple ID for access to the UK version of the App store.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Sometimes faking your GPS location is good when you want access to different versions of the app store.

I've used in the past to show that I was in the middle of the runways at Heathrow Airport. That prevented the App store from rejecting my UK Apple ID for access to the UK version of the App store.
I have four app store IDs. One for the UK, one for Switzerland (where I live at the moment), one for Taiwan as I'm often there and one for the US to get apps (such as the Swiftkey keyboard) that don't seem available anywhere else.

I've never had to spoof my location when changing accounts and stores. I can access them all from anywhere, and auto-updates work well (iOS12, but also iOS11. I don't remember how iOS10 worked - I think I had to log in to each store and click on the update tab).

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have four app store IDs. One for the UK, one for Switzerland (where I live at the moment), one for Taiwan as I'm often there and one for the US to get apps (such as the Swiftkey keyboard) that don't seem available anywhere else.

I've never had to spoof my location when changing accounts and stores. I can access them all from anywhere, and auto-updates work well (iOS12, but also iOS11. I don't remember how iOS10 worked - I think I had to log in to each store and click on the update tab).
Yeah, my memory on this may be faulty. It was a long time ago and I haven't logged in under that account in quite some time.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

VPN much easier...

terrasita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
On a jailbroken iPhone/iPad, you can use an mod called Location Faker. I use it to sometimes make people think I am in Spain on Facebook or Twitter and Instagram. Every time I use it on Facebook, I get a welcome to Barcelona or wherever I am pretending to be at. You can whitelist any app that you don't want to fake the location of which is very useful so that you can keep Location Faker running 24/7.

View attachment 775152

I'll check this out but I think I might have tried it with no luck unfortunately. I tried a couple of the downloadable apps and none of them worked. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.