Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Hi, when I click "download additional content" in FCP it goes to the software update window in settings (as expected) but I get this window:

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 09.30.35.png

There's nothing about the additional content for FCP.
There are no additional sound packs found in Library / Application Support or Library / Audio.
I have deleted FCP and re-downloaded but that doesn't change anything.
Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I looked in Library / Application Support / FCP and there are no sound effects there, nor Library / Audio.

I bought FCP in 2012, and I have downloaded the extra packs before, but stored them on an external drive that's now failed. I just bought a new Studio and downloaded FCP from the App Store but I guess it must know I downloaded the additional content before...... I don't really want to buy it again!

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
If it's not showing, then you just plain already have it. OR you're running the trial version, which, for obvious reasons, does not come with that content.

So you're saying that nothing is showing in your audio sidebar? The loops that are there are stored in HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops. You certainly don't have to buy it again to get it.

And have you tried restarting? Tried simply deleting FC and downloading it again?

Last but not least you could try deleting the HD/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro/Library/Content folder or… simply download and install it manually?? Though I have no idea if that's the same version of what is downloaded "officially", so I would try all the above first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geoff777

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Hi RSK thanks for replying.
In the sidebar I have photos, music Apple TV and sound effects. There are about 60 sound effects.

However I did check the HD/Libraty (I'd been looking in the user library) and lo and behold, there's an 1.2 Gb Apple Loops folder - but I think that's for Garage Band? I will try and import to FCP and see what happens, thanks for your help!

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Those are for ALL Apple apps and no, there should be a "Apple Loops for GarageBand" folder with instruments that FC does not use for obvious reasons. But there should also be a "Final Cut Pro Sound Effects" folder in /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/

Reactions: Geoff777

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
There is indeed..... it's 447 Mb and contains 1,352 items, so not sure why I'm only seeing about 60 in FCP..... I will investigate! Thank you very much for your help.

Reactions: R S K

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Thank you RSK, it worked, I can now access a huge list of sound effects from within FCP! 🍻
I am not sure what I did with preferences that made them disappear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.