Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
FWIW, I had this problem starting with Sonoma… the workaround is a pain, but at least there is one and it’s reliable. I’m not holding my breath that this will be fixed.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I'm happy this thread exists - I noticed the problem after rebooting for an update and couldn't figure out why I could no longer connect. I was using a Linux box as a fileserver - but decided to move the drives to my Mac, so this didn't bite me until now.

I eventually realized that when shutting off the Firewall connections from clients could be made. I ended up finding an article on 6 colors about adding smbd to the firewall and making sure that it was not blocked using
Code:
/usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --listapps

But nothing helped. The tip on shutting off file sharing before rebooting is the only thing that really works(?) so far.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to try something like Murus (murus) to workaround this? I've been meaning to try it out since the built-in Firewall app is not very good.

Seems crazy something like this gets by QA - and does not get fixed right away by one of the wealthiest companies in the world. I wonder when this bug started - I feel like I found some search results about this issue going back to last year...
I still wonder why this thread reads "RESOLVED".
;JOOP!

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I still wonder why this thread reads "RESOLVED".
;JOOP!
Good point. There has been additional posts of more people having the same File Sharing issues. I turned off the "RESOLVED" title prefix.

My posts 11 & 12 indicated the File Sharing started working for me on the silicon MBP when FileVault was off for me. There were also some additional problems I found that were mentioned in post 21 that might have contributed to the File Sharing problem, but I was not sure.

Both silicon MBPs have been fine Feb. 18, 2024. We have some trips planned for the Summer, so I decided to turn on FileVault for both silicon MBPs. I enabled FV for 1st MBP on Monday (4-15) and the File Sharing quit working properly with the same symptoms as mentioned in my post 1.

I enabled FV on the 2nd MBP on Tuesday (4-16) the File Sharing problem started on MBP 2.

Today I turned FV off for MBP 1, shut down, started the MBP, and File Sharing was still working correctly.

My conclusion, the File Sharing problem occurs with Sonoma macOS and FV On.

ckeilah

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
The actual SOLUTION is to dump Apple's POS samba implementation and install a working one. homebrew is the answer. If you haven't already, just look up how to install homebrew then install smbd then edit /etc/smb.conf, and enjoy rock solid filesharing. Then write nasty letters to Apple. ;-p

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
The actual SOLUTION is to dump Apple's POS samba implementation and install a working one. homebrew is the answer. If you haven't already, just look up how to install homebrew then install smbd then edit /etc/smb.conf, and enjoy rock solid filesharing. Then write nasty letters to Apple. ;-p

I'm intrigued by this ... someone really should make this into an easy-to-install (i.e., download and double-click) package file and request donations. I'd give some cash.

Although, I don't want to have to turn off SIP or anything like that. And would want an option to uninstall later (e.g., when/if Apple ever gets it working).

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
As I am a bit afraid of interim solutions like these, I would like to suggest NOT to delay a (nasty) letter to APPLE.
Besides, the problem, as far as I can see, concerns the loss of sharing rights when you reboot/restart only.
I made it a routine for all my machines to switch off sharing before reboot; at a crash (not happened yet),
you got to reboot twice to switch twice.

There seem to be more reboot effects than sharing loss alone:
sometimes rebooting switches on WIFI, which is unwanted in our place.
;JOOP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.