Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
On iPadOS 17 Public Beta. My files app is unresponsive. Nothing within the window in the app will scroll, open or select. The only things that work are the window management (3 dots at the top and resize corner). Resizing the window shows squished content that doesn’t conform to the new window size.

I’ve of course rebooted my iPad, turned off Stage Manager and even deleted and reinstalled the Files app. Seems like iPadOS retains the Files app cache/settings and the Files app itself is just a front end for accessing it. It’s a beta, these things are to be expected but damn, I’m stuck now waiting for the next Public beta release. Anyone else seeing this bug? Any interim solutions?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Update: there appears to be an upper limit of files the Files app can handle. I use my Downloads folder for screenshots as well as any files downloaded from the web. I must’ve hit that limit.

I’ll keep this thread for anyone landing here after searching this problem. Here’s the workaround: use another device or an alternate files management app to organize your files into separate folders. I went on my Mac and moved files into folders organized by years. iCloud synced the new file structure and the Files app became responsive again.

I’m not sure if this is an iPad OS 17 bug or a general limit for the Files app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.