Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
So is the files app available for iPad only or will the iPhone get it with the update too? From the keynote it seems it's iPad only, but I can't see a reason why it shouldn't be on an iPhone as well.

Last edited:

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
So is the files app available for iPad only or will the iPhone get it with the update too? From the keynote it seems it's iPad only, but I can't see a reason why it should be on an iPhone as well.
Has to be on iPhones, because they said it would update on all your devices when you make changes in Files.

Reactions: iPhonetherefore

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Has to be on iPhones, because they said it would update on all your devices when you make changes in Files.

Sounds like Files is just iCloud Drive with third party cloud provider support.

Is that the gist of it?

(Not that I'm complaining! This is a good thing.)

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
The Files app does come installed on the iPhone when the iOS 11 beta is installed. I saw a youtube stream of a user installing iOS 11 Beta and he actually opened it up and browsed it multiple times.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Sounds like Files is just iCloud Drive with third party cloud provider support.

Is that the gist of it?

(Not that I'm complaining! This is a good thing.)

One step further than that, it seems - there's a spot for local storage on there which is HUUUUUUUUUGE.

Reactions: 0989383
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.