Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hotcam1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
Pensacola,Florida
I bought an iMac on line 2011 model, restored os but now I hit FileVault by mistake it started encrypting for almost 3 days, so I found a YouTube video showing me how to use terminal to disable, now decrypting the files been two days, is there any other way to stop this so use my computer, I’m a novice at this. Any help is greatly appreciated need help ASAP

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
... is there any other way to stop this so use my computer, I’m a novice at this. Any help is greatly appreciated need help ASAP

You can carry on using your computer as normal while its encrypting or decrypting.
The process is designed to be completely transparent.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Another option is to backup your disk,
reinstall the OS and restore your data. It could be faster than waiting another 2-3 days to complete encryption plus another few days to disable FileVault (usually FileVault will slow down your disk, especially on HDD).

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
It's a slow process even on thunderbolt SSD's. The more files you have on your drive the longer it will take, so clean out or move all big files you don't need to an external drive before turning Filevault on or off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.