Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Okay, weird one.
I have a few events that are no longer needed. I deleted the files from the library directly (my bad) and this has left me with 'phantom' events.
Basically FCP thinks there's an event there but it has no associated files so on start-up it says 'Library corrupted, files missing'.
I have tried to delete the Events but it seems to be a catch-22... without any content they can't be deleted but because they are there as Events they are seen as corrupted.
I tried the File> Move event to trash route but the option to do so is greyed out.
Any suggestions?

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
One potential solution: make a new library, copy the good events to the new library, delete the old library.
THAT most certainly will not work!! Someone clearly has no idea how FC works. This is A MYSQL DATABASE we're talking about here. You don't just COPY stuff back and forth. 🙄

Last edited by a moderator:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
THAT most certainly will not work!! Someone clearly has no idea how FC works. This is A MYSQL DATABASE we're talking about here. You don't just COPY stuff back and forth. 🙄
Copy the event to Library
CopyEvent.jpg

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Maybe don't make it sound like you're doing it in the Finder and write "using the FC command". 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: bogdanw

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
One potential solution: make a new library, copy the good events to the new library, delete the old library.

Copy or move items between libraries in Final Cut Pro for Mac
https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/ver397277a3/mac
Thanks bogdan & sorry for the delay in reply.
A couple of the libraries were on one 12Tb external drive so that solution actually worked well.
Obviously didn't just drag them but moved from one library to the other in the FinalCut window and then deleted the old library. As it was just moving stuff around on the same drive it didn't take long.
There were a couple that were on separate, smaller drives without the room to create duplicates before deleting but they are mainly archive drives so I can live with just dismissing the error when I load them up.

Reactions: bogdanw

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2020
Would right-clicking the library in Finder (.fcpbundle), show package contents and then deleting the events in there work?

FCX

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Would right-clicking the library in Finder (.fcpbundle), show package contents and then deleting the events in there work?
No, it would not. That's how OP got into this situation to begin with.

The .fcpbundle is effectively a database, with FCP acting as the front end. If you do stuff in Finder, FCP will think its DB is broken (because it will be/is). Do all of your housekeeping inside the app, and it'll be happier overall.

Reactions: Geoff777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.