Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
It's pretty good so far. Definitely has a left bias view of the whole situation. Some folks wont mind it but I personally don't like left or right bias in entertainment.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
It's pretty good so far. Definitely has a left bias view of the whole situation. Some folks wont mind it but I personally don't like left or right bias in entertainment.
It’s very difficult to write a drama, even one based on real life, without letting your personal feelings in to an extent. And to be honest I think the drama would be worse off if those feelings were removed

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
More than ever, I am noticing that some folks are becoming very sensitive to anything that is even remotely political or woke. We as the society needs to stop being so divisive and accept the shortcomings and evolve.

IMO, Five Days at Memorial isn't even remotely controversial in this regard. Most of the characters are based on a real life counterpart, painting a stark picture of escalating failures within the system, similar to HBO's Chernobyl. I am guessing the doctor that carries a gun or the junior African American doctor maybe the source of your issues. But I am not understanding how any of that would be considered a bias.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I finished watching the series.

I really liked the earlier episodes set in Memorial Hospital, during the Katrina disaster. But the post-Katrina episodes felt distant, as two leading investigators take over the narrative. Try as I may, I just couldn't sympathize with their struggle. Perhaps their narratives would've been more effective if the series started with their scene.

My main problem is Anna Pou. First of all, I think Vera Farmiga did a phenomenal job playing this complex character. But the series robbed her of the pivotal scene where she is (more or less) resigned to administering the controversial shots.

I liked the series overall and it helped me educate on the side of a disaster I wasn't aware of. But the series felt incomplete.

Reactions: Mr. Jenkins

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Neither did I. I just found out about it yesterday and watch all 5 episodes yesterday. I didn't notice any bias.
Reality, as they say, has a liberal bias. So if one is unwilling to accept reality or is virulently left-wing, they'll find and criticize this "bias" in almost every tv show, movie, video game, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.