Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What is the name of these types of folders? Im trying to locate a psd mockup of one, exactly like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 02.08.26.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 02.08.26.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 60

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks but i dont see a Bifold that looks like the pic attached. The one im looking for has the bind on the small width side. :-(

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ive found this mockup, it looks amazing, crisp and bright, but how on earth are they created? Are they 3D photorealistic images or are they photoshooted?

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Thanks but i dont see a Bifold that looks like the pic attached. The one im looking for has the bind on the small width side. :-(
Are you looking for a graphic template? Setting this up is easy for the page itself. Also, unless Photoshop is all you have I would not be doing this type of work in Photoshop. Indesign is ideal and what it is made for. Or if you are using Affinity then look at Affinity Publisher (not Microsoft Publisher).

All you need is the size, and you make sure your length is the size you are binding at. So for a normal newsletter, they are 8.5 x 11 when folded up, laying flat they are 17 x 11. If you were to bind this the opposite way, and less economical to print way, then it would be 22 x 8.5 flat folded to 11 x 8.5. If you are looking to print this, know that you will have a much higher print cost as this is not a good way to print.

Reactions: splifingate

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
@wonderings I believe @zoran is interested in learning how the mockup itself (the presentation of a brochure, flyer, etc) is made, rather than creating the physical publication itself.
and most of all, how to make one using a photo realistic impression... make it look like its photoshooted and not created with the computer.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If u mean the Envato tuts, yes i have, and i believe that mockups like these are what im looking for. The Envato are too flawless to look real... what do u say?

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
The Envato examples look like real hard-copy; but--truly--it's almost impossible to tell anymore 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I'm seeing these as real photos of actual prints on real tables with staged lighting ;)

One can definitely print such products, and they can definitely look picture-perfect in one's own hands.

As perfect a print product as anything that you have ever seen printed . . . as long as you send it to the right printer <s>

Nobody does manual typesetting, anymore.

I can't say it's easy, but you can "naturalise" your digital artwork so that it looks more, er, natural, and less perfect before you print it.

Of course, illustrating/printing such a thing--yourself--with pen, ink, acrylic, &c. is the only way to have it *not* look like it's from digital output.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
You could simply buy a vector file of something you like the looks of, then take it apart to see how it was done and use that to replicate in whatever shape you need. I did a quick search through adobe stock which I have a subcription for and found one vector:
Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 12.45.39 PM.png

It is a fully working and editable vector file, so you can see how everything is made. Then when you have that down, you look at applying your artwork to the 3D designs.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
I wouldn't bother myself with using a vector file unless I am looking for a more stylized mockup look, because the camera angle would be static and if the client asks for a different point of view all the work would have to be redone. And what if the client requires multiple renders done from various angles?

Yeah, right. WAAAY too much work.

Instead I would set up a simple 3d scene, light it, and render it. That will give the client far more flexibility, including replacing the background. And the lighting is adjustable in seconds.

Here is a quick example that I did in Blender:

brochure_template_3d.jpg

And even if the client needs a more stylized look, I can do that in Blender with non-photorealistic rendering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.