Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
In the latest Accidentally Tech Podcast they talked about what force touch could do in iOS. This really really got me thinking. So I've put quite a bit of effort into thinking of stock iOS force touches that would actually be useful. Here's my list so far.

- Delete app prompt instantly
- Delete emails instantly (not really that helpful though :()
- Book mark page instantly
- Clear all notifications button
-Close all apps multitasking

What do you guys think would actually be helpful?

Last edited:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
In the latest Accidentally Tech Podcast they talked about what force touch could do in iOS. This really really got me thinking. So I've put quite a bit of effort into thinking of stock iOS force touches that would actually be useful. Here's my list so far.

- Delete all prompt instantly
- Delete emails instantly (not really that helpful though :()
- Book mark page instantly
- Clear all notifications button
-Close all apps multitasking

What do you guys think would actually be helpful?
Yes please to the "clear all notifications button" and "close all apps multitasking" lol

How about force touch to zoom in camera? That would be even cooler if the iPhone ever gets optical-zooming.

Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I could see it being helpful for things I'd need to long-press for. Like saving photos or opening tabs. If I could open a tab in the background just by force-pressing, that would be awesome.
Those are good ones! Force tough to open in a new tab would be very helpful!

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
There are many possibilities but some may hinge on how Apple implements force touch on the phones. On the watch, a force touch anywhere on the screen opens up a menu. On MacBooks, force touch on specific locations have specific functions.

On the phone, I can really see them going either way. You could have force touch in mail bring up options like flag, archive, mark as unread, reply, label, etc. Or you can have it open up a small maps window when you force touch on an address or save an appointment to calendar when viewing that information in an email. I'm very curious to see which direction they go in. They might even mix the two depending on context/app.

Reactions: Cpt. Gilgamesh

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I started a thread once, but all I got were irrelevant responses. But here is what I put.

-FT on home screen apps to show app settings
-FT on text in Safari and iBooks to define
-FT on links to preview (iPad)
-FT on text to highlight (press harder to highlight sentence, paragraph and whole text)
-FT on fast forward and rewind to do so faster
-FT on email to flag
-Any FT trackpad tricks that can be implemented
-FT API

I think they should learn from the Force Touch Trackpad on the new MacBook and the MacBook Pro, like defining words and stuff. I think this has lots of potential, and it will be something that people actually use, unlike Siri

Reactions: The Doctor11

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
If they plan for Force Touch support in iOS 9 they won't show it at WWDC. No iDevices have Force Touch capabilities yet, and it would be strange to introduce a feature that doesn't have any devices supporting it (yet).

It would make more sense for Apple to introduce an iDevice with Force Touch hardware and then talk about the things you can do with it in software on the same event.

Reactions: The Doctor11

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I started a thread once, but all I got were irrelevant responses. But here is what I put.

I think they should learn from the Force Touch Trackpad on the new MacBook and the MacBook Pro, like defining words and stuff. I think this has lots of potential, and it will be something that people actually use, unlike Siri
I agree with your point about Siri, and I also believe that force touch has an even greater potential for third-party apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.