Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
I am just wondering why my Sawtooth needs about 40 seconds to boot and my Cube 80. I reset the PRAM, and both ran off the exact same SSD with Tiger/Shuriken when I tested them. Both had 1.5GB RAM, the same 450MHz CPU and a Geforce 2MX and I have no clue whether the logic board could be the problem (or even something else?)
Or is that completely normal for the Cube to take twice as long to boot as the normal towers?

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
How would that explain it when I booted both from the same partition off the same SSD? The setting should be the same for both then. But if it would be active, how can I disable it?

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
I remember it being part of OpenFirmware so maybe it’s stored in ROM and doesn’t get read from disk? I don’t know but from another thread here I found this information:

Tricks

• To initialize The Boot Picker faster,enter setenv skip-netboot? true. This will disable scanning for a bootable network OS. To turn NetBoot back on, enter setenv skip-netboot? false.

Maybe worth a try.

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
In the Cube it could be waiting for, or trying to initialize hardware that doesn't exist--like sound? The logs might show something. Also if you set boot-device to the boot partition (Startup Disk under System Preferences) it won't spend time looking for it. Does the Cube have a battery? I've noticed longer boot times and some other weird stuff (like network shares) when the date is set to 1969.

Let us know what you figure out...

Reactions: philgxxd

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
Wednesday->Sunday=tomorrow :)

Nvm, I tried date, startup disk and skip netboot, but didnt got any speedups that were out of error margin.
But the Cube takes about 20 seconds longer than the Sawtooth to display the apple logo (15 vs 35 seconds), the screen being gray in that time and waits about 30 seconds for
Code:
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string
ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
while the Sawtooth makes that in a fraction of a second.

See attached videos and apologize for bad quality. I had to use my old LG display instead of the high quality 23 inch cinema display because the Sawtooth, even with the Geforce 2MX from the Cube, wouldnt drive the cinema display for some odd reason…

Video 1 is the Sawtooth and Video 2 is the Cube.
(It still shows that date is incorrect but I was to lazy to configure it after taking the 2MX from the Sawtooth into the Cube and with date set correctly the boot is the same speed)

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I had to use my old LG display instead of the high quality 23 inch cinema display because the Sawtooth, even with the Geforce 2MX from the Cube, wouldnt drive the cinema display for some odd reason…
Is your Cinema Display the ADC version? The GPU's ADC output doesn't supply power in a Sawtooth.

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
Maybe the airport card is initialized while the Cube is

Code:
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string
ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
? I dont have an other explaination, or does someone else hava an idea?

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
Doing a search around only gave me results for Hackintosh builds, but it did strike a theory in my mind:

Is your Cube correctly configured to start up from the drive? i.e. setting the correct Mac OS in the Startup Disk control panel/system preference. That might be why the Apple logo doesn't appear for a long time.

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
Yes, I set the Tiger partition (the only one on my SSD) in the settings to the start partition. A reasonable thought though.
When I come back from holidays I will try without the airport card and also disconnect the DVD-ROM, who knows.
Maybe someone else can start their Cube and check if theirs is waiting these 25 seconds like mine does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.