Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeh123

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
London
Not Shipping LONG wait in store

OK with all these rumours I have contacted Apple through our dealer channel with regard to our backorders.

I have a build to order (CTO) upgraded my graphics card etc.
I ordered on 17th July. I was told ALL CTO's would not be shipped until last week of Septmeber probably first week in October.
On a positive note she said all standard configurations will be shipped first then they'll ship the CTO's.

I still find this a little harder to understand but there you go. Many of us will be waiting until October even if you ordered in July

grouse

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
london
credit cards and so forth

Brother mugga and others in the UK...

<<Certainly several companies I have dealt with here (in the UK) only take the money when they actually deliver, but it doesn't seem to be an actual legal requirement, so it would seem that this is down to company policy. So that doesn't say much for Apple UK, then, does it?>>

As a condition of a comsumer credit licence in the UK, companies are broaching UK law if they take money for an unsupplied product (more difficult to prove with services).Also you should be protected by your credit card company, depending who it's with, and they can make Apple refund the money, if you are not in receipt of said goods. A certain large retailer of Macs in the UK was pulled up on this, they were holding products for a couple of days and making a tidy sum on the interest and cash flow.

It is not legal to do this. I would contact Apple UK and question them heavily on this one. And your credit card company for further help and advice.

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
I ordered my Dual G5 earlier this week and Apple has put a hold on the cash in my account for the full amount of the machine. Hopefully this means I don't have to wait until the quoted Ocotber 10th date - which I think it ridiculous.

mactarheel

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2003
North Carolina, US
I ordered my G5 last Friday night (August 1). Estimated shipping date on or before 10.14.03. The money was withdrawn from my checking account 2 days ago by Apple. It's not on hold...it's withdrawn. Any thoughts? I sure hope I don't have to wait that long!

Update: Just opened my mail today. One letter from Apple Computer thanking me for my recent order. Told me how much would be withdrawn from my checking account on 8.5.03. The letter is dated 8.6.03 and was mailed from Austin, Tx.

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
Interesting, now I talked to my bank and they verified that my money was on hold. I also called Apple to ask what was up - and they said it was standard practice for them to hold the money. I asked - "so my money will be held until the product ships?" and I was told yes.

I guess maybe with bigger purchases they want to make sure you aren't wasting their time - ordering without the cash to back it up.

Kind of annoying though...now my bank balance will always be 3500 more than my available balance until I get this thing.

mactarheel

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2003
North Carolina, US
When I ordered they had told me that Apple would put the funds on hold. That's what I expected. But it's definitely withdrawn and states by Apple Computer. It's fine with me either way...all I want is the G5! I just hope they ship sooner than estimated.

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
That's exciting...with our taken money and the affirmation from Apple in the Forbes article - we might just be seeing these babies sooner than we think.

mrougeux

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
As the guy who started this thread, let me give you all an update: I called Apple on Friday (8/8/03) to ask why they had posted a charge to my credit card on Monday 8/4, but had not yet notified me of a ship date. [They had actually tried to charge my card on Friday 8/1, but my credit card number had changed, and so Apple contacted me to get another one. The fraud unit of my credit card company called Monday to verify the charge. That was my tipoff.]

The Apple rep said it was a "preapproval". [Which is a common thing for retailers to do. My credit card co. says the amount may not even be exactly the amount that is finally charged.]

In any event, the rep says that it hasn't shipped because the G5 is not ready, that it has been "significantly delayed." When I asked what that meant, he said, toward the end of the month (August). I asked: "you mean it could be end of August or early September?" to which he replied they hoped it would not be September.

My sense was that they were anticipating shipping about now, hence the temporary authorization on the credit card, but something caused the shipments to be delayed -- be it 10.2.7 or diversion to corporate/gov't users or missing hardware [I ordered the 9800 video card/airport extreme card/bluetooth]. Who knows. My unit was ordered 6/23/03 and is a dualie.

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
Apple has placed the money it "held" for verification back into my account. So despite what Apple reps have said - they
do not hold that credit until an item ships (or at least not when the item is shipping a long time after). It is a temporary authorization, to help them decide whether the order is legit or not (I assume).

Too bad - I was hoping the held money meant a quicker ship date. Looks like it'll be a G5 Halloween this year - maybe I will trick or treat as a 1Ghz Front Side Bus.

Joe

mactarheel

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2003
North Carolina, US
Apple still has my money out of my checking account...for a week now. No signs of it returning to the account so far. I'll let you know if it does.

Hopefully we'll get them before Halloween. I'm hoping there is some truth in the forbes.com weekend update this past weekend. The last of the month would be great!

Karen

Morpheus

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2003
Originally posted by lem0nayde
Apple has placed the money it "held" for verification back into my account. So despite what Apple reps have said - they
do not hold that credit until an item ships (or at least not when the item is shipping a long time after). It is a temporary authorization, to help them decide whether the order is legit or not (I assume).

Too bad - I was hoping the held money meant a quicker ship date. Looks like it'll be a G5 Halloween this year - maybe I will trick or treat as a 1Ghz Front Side Bus.

Joe

I'm trick or treating as Massive Branch Predicting Logic

fordi

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2003
Sheffield UK
Hi Guys,

I ordered my G5 about two weeks ago from a official apple distributor in sheffield. I was told i was one of the lucky few in the first batch and that i should get my G5 towards the end of august. After speaking to them again on Monday they told me early Sept.

Watch this space ! ! !

mikeh123

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
London
Fordi I hope you do.

I work for an Official Apple Dstributor and to be frank nobody is giving any definite dates and the distributor doesn't actually know.

I have spoken directly with Apple and they are very hazy. They are trying for an end of August early september and i think you will see G'5 by september. I ordered mine about 5 weeks ago and we have had all sorts of dates banded about including October which is certainly wrong, they will be for new orders.

We are all waiting. We have many on backorder with Apple and as soon as they are about to ship we will know immediately.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Think of BTO options as your standard run of the mill BMW 320, with the standard options like leather, power windows, etc.

Think of CTO options as your upgraded BMW M3, which needs to go to another place to be built.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
PLACE your Bets..!
My 1.6 G5 is ordered

i dont expect it till the end of next month

but i want to read some real Reviews of production G5's

why havent magazines and online review sites recieved units and posted reviews.

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by adamfilip

why havent magazines and online review sites recieved units and posted reviews.

Because the lead times are 3 to 4 months on these kind of things; don't expect to see full reviews until December or January issues of magazines, although you may see some quick reviews a little earlier.

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
I bet they are waiting for Panther to go GOlD before they ship!

Bet they aren't. Panther is a long way off GOLD, at least what is being shown to developers is!

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
i dont believe thats true the Isight was introduced the same day as the g5 (i know they were shipping same day basicly and the g5.. well end of this month)

but still apple must have a handfull of units available that it can lend to a few large magazines to help get the word out..

two_tail

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2002
More CC Activity

Well, I've had more Apple-related credit card activity. I'll post my Apple-related history and see what happens!

I placed a total of three Apple orders on 24 June, the day after the keynote, around 18:30 PDT. The first order was a PowerBook order, and all parts of that have shipped and billed, so it's not really of interest.

The second order was for a 1.8GHz G5, standard (non-CTO) configuration. It was placed through the Education store. With AppleCare (APP) and estimated tax it comes to $2582.16.

The third order was for a Dual-2GHz G5, Configure-To-Order (CTO). It was placed through the Developer store, and was approved the next day. With iPod, mouse, 2 packs of DVDs, APP and estimated tax it came to $3772.49.

The APP from both orders, along with the iPod, mouse and DVDs all shipped quickly, before the end of June. There were also billings for them, though I never tried to match up those numbers.

Now that I have the background, consider this. On 4 August two authorizations are made to my card. For those who do not know, an authorization is like a pseudo-charge. Someone is thinking of making of charge of $something, and wants to make sure that the funds will be available. It's normally used by places like Amazon.com, where they authorize immediately but don't charge until the order ships. Of course, if the authorization is not converted to a charge within a certain amount of time it is cancelled.

Anyway, on 4 August two authorizations were made, for $59.99 each. I assume that they were simply checking my card to make sure it is still usable, one authorization per order. One $59.99 authorization was converted into a charge, and the other left to expire. For now, I am assuming that the $59.99 charged was for the 1.8 G5.

The next activity was a charge (with no prior authorization) on 7 August for $2365.77. This looks like a charge for the 1.8 G5, making a total of $2425.76. Subtract the $2199 1.8 computer and you're left with $226.76. This is not enough to cover APP and tax, or even APP by itself, but is too much for tax. If the charges are for the computer and its tax, then it is off by $72.83 (7% county sales tax). I have heard that Apple intentionally overcharges a little, and adjusts the amounts (through modified charges or refunds) once the order is completely shipped, so I am assuming that this is happening here.

The third item is an authorization made on Friday (15 August) for $3054.48. The cost of the second G5 is $2839, and comes to $3037.33 with 7% tax, so this looks like a pretty close match.

Now this is kind of interesting when you look at the history. As I said, I am assuming that the two $60 charges were to simply check my cards status, but then why did they not simply place all of the charges as soon as the card status was verified? I was thinking that Apple has begun to realize that multiple charges/authorizations in a short period of time can easily cause cards to lock up, so they would spread things out over time, but then I wonder why only one $60 charge was allowed to live, rather than having both authorizations charged, or leaving both to die.

I am also thinking that the first order was charged because it was not a CTO order, so it was a simple matter of charging it was it went into...well, whatever stage it's in now (pre-shipping?). I would guess that it's waiting for 10.2.whatever.

Now the second order seems to be partially charged. I would guess that it's in authorization, rather than charge, because it's either ready to start configuration, or is waiting on shipping (and installation of 10.2.whatever).

Anyway, this is certainly interesting information. Hopefully they will be shipping soon. Any other experiences similar to this? Feel free to see what your credit cards automated service line reports!

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
i dont believe thats true the Isight was introduced the same day as the g5 (i know they were shipping same day basicly and the g5.. well end of this month)

Yes, but magazines are written from back to front. The iSight has appeared on the cover, with some comment in the front pages, but not what I would call full reviews. Besides the iSight quick reviews wouldn't exactly take long... plug in, download iChat, click on green video icon.

The G5 however is a completely new computer, and benchmarking, reviewing, testing etc. will take a while if it is to be done professionally.

What we have seen on the web is suggestion that Apple are making the machines available to high profile journalists (Walt Mossberg etc) who have a very short time with them.

At the end of the day though, we know it will be a great machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.