Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I found that I'm able to get the 100 MB download limit on cellular. I'm at work and went to download a game that gave me the message to wait and then I had to restart my iPhone and when it restarted, the game was downloaded. I do not have Wifi turned on and have never connected to a wifi network at my job before. To test, I went to download Apple's Numbers app. It gave me the error so I turned the iPhone off completely and back on and it downloaded over cellular.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 4,387

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, this is a workaround (or a glitch) that has been there for a little while that some people end up using to get around the limit.

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I hate that limit and wish there would be a switch to disable it.
I have 20GB per month and using up 100MB on an App wouldn't be any problem.
Hear hear.. this really really should be a switch for those on unlimited or large cellular plans that don't need protecting from download sizes.. sure, add a big scary warning dialog on the switch or something, but just add one.. grr.

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2015
Hear hear.. this really really should be a switch for those on unlimited or large cellular plans that don't need protecting from download sizes.. sure, add a big scary warning dialog on the switch or something, but just add one.. grr.

Yes! I concur. Have sent a suggestion via the feedback app regarding this very issue. It is frustrating. Back when apps were small and 8GB was huge the limitation makes sense. Nowadays what with apps reaching up to 2,5Gb, the limitation doesn't make sense anymore.

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
I would much rather it be a warning alert so that I can be more wary about my data limit.

It shouldn't be a forced limit 'cause most of the time when I want to download an app, it really does not matter whether I am on Cellular or Wi-Fi.

Reactions: saintforlife

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Yes! I concur. Have sent a suggestion via the feedback app regarding this very issue. It is frustrating.
I would much rather it be a warning alert so that I can be more wary about my data limit.
Hear hear.. this really really should be a switch for those on unlimited or large cellular plans that don't need protecting from download sizes

There really should be a 'slide to download' for these situations :)

Reactions: Yongkykun

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I wonder, if I could initiate multiple downloads using this way to move around this limit? I Mean, I have, say, five apps, with each app has 1GB size. Can I start all five downloads and restart once to bypass this limit?

And, if I open app automatic download, would it be possible to bypass this limit?

Thanks.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Sadly, whatever workarounds like this one finds, they don't help with things like podcasts ( ok, can stream them.. but.. )

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
A rather annoying workaround but, when I'm traveling, I tend to have both my iPhone and iPad with me. I put one into Personal Hotspot, connect the other via WiFi and then it doesn't recognize the 100MB limit.

Reactions: dk001

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
A rather annoying workaround but, when I'm traveling, I tend to have both my iPhone and iPad with me. I put one into Personal Hotspot, connect the other via WiFi and then it doesn't recognize the 100MB limit.

Yeah, I had to this whilst on holiday this year to update something.. thankfully I had my 3g ipad mini with me too.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I do the same, especially when on the road.

I am on the road, and it's a hot and windy August afternoon, and the trees are in constant motion. Yeah, I couldn't resist...

Reactions: Analog Kid

djdrah

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2004
California
I found that I'm able to get the 100 MB download limit on cellular. I'm at work and went to download a game that gave me the message to wait and then I had to restart my iPhone and when it restarted, the game was downloaded. I do not have Wifi turned on and have never connected to a wifi network at my job before. To test, I went to download Apple's Numbers app. It gave me the error so I turned the iPhone off completely and back on and it downloaded over cellular.

I've actually had gotten around this on accident in my car. I have a Kiwi WiFi 2, for Dashcommand, and while using it with no router IP (left that field blank) it used my cellular data but thought I was on WiFi. This was a while back, so not sure if there have been updates that fix this glitch, but lots of people have personal travel routers, and if you set up a static IP, and leave the router IP off, you might achieve the same thing. :)

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009

This method also works for OTA iOS updates. I updated to 9.3.3 at a baseball game using my wife's phone as a hotspot.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Did Apple just change the 100MB limit? I'm able to download 100MB apps over cellular now. I still get the warning but it proceeds.

nephi80

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
What really makes me angry about the limit is that I could simultaneously download 10 apps that are 100mb each no problem. However, one single app of 101mb is too much? Does this make any sense?! Also, I could use several GB's an hour streaming video and Apple is okay with that. Just ridiculous!

Reactions: pacorob

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Yep.. I can appreciate there being a limit, but it needs to have an over ride.

An even biger nuisance I found last summer, was not backing up to icloud unless on wifi when I was using my phone as my only internet connection!

Reactions: pacorob

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
As far as I know this limitation still exists in IOS10.3.1 today. I really hope that this gets changed in iOS11 to give the user the option to turn off this limitation. I understand that there are implications if you allow to download bigger files but still leave it up to the users to decide.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
Still no longer there.
Not an update.

Possibly an Australian thing.
Limits are dictated by country.

Attachments

• IMG_0684.PNG
    IMG_0684.PNG
    457.2 KB · Views: 1,531
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.