Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
i always want to try it, but every time i reverted back to the case. i'm on IUP so nick and ding don't bother me, it's the slippery and comfort level in my hand that bother me for the previous iPhone without cases. from the release video last week, the titanium has a somewhat matte look to it, and the edges seem not as sharp as the previous pro phones. maybe this time i do go caseless. are anyone else thinking the same?

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Yelp. Me too this year, I did buy AppleCare+ just for that reason. I also ordered the Cypress color silicon Apple case for the times when I know I will need a case on my phone. Hopefully the Natural Titanium will not disappoint for grippiness (not sure that's an actual word).
BTW, my iPhone 12PM White is in pristine shape after 3 years in an Apple LEATHER case, way to slick (for me) to use without a case.

ctbaz

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
I went caseless for a couple months with my 14 and one of the camera lenses ended up with a small crack probably because of the way it lays on surfaces.

Reactions: OneMike

OrneryTaurus

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2021
California
I went caseless on my iPhone 12 Pro and a few months after doing so, I dropped it and it landed in such a way the back glass cracked. This was back when Apple only allowed two incidents of accidental damage. Now they offer unlimited, so I will probably go back to caseless.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I went caseless for a couple months with my 14 and one of the camera lenses ended up with a small crack probably because of the way it lays on surfaces.
that sounds like a defect.... The lenses should be one of the stronger parts of the phone. I've alaways gone caseless and never had an issue with lenses even scratching, let alone cracking.

With the 15 Pro, I'll be going caseless again - and worrying less since the back glass can easily be replaced

Reactions: rolandkoller90

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I use a case when needed hight risk of dropping. Also the grip on the case helps to keep it from falling out of my pocket. I enjoy caseless

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I've been going careless since 12PM. I figure if I'm going through all of the angst about picking a color, I might as well enjoy it, and being on IUP automatically includes AC+. Other than minor drops with no damage, I'm pretty careful with the iPhone.

Reactions: Howard Brazee

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I settled somewhere in the middle, naked inside, anti theft lanyard case when travelling on foot - learned the hard way.

G&N

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2023
Right before the Apple event, my friend and I, we went in a store for resell evaluation and the differences in value between mine and his was less than 50 bucks. His phone was like-brand new (99% battery life) in every way and mine was a bit beat-up (micro scratches all around). So that tells you don't really need to have cases for the sake of higher resell value. Just use it for what Apple engineers designed it to be and not have cases ruin the feel of it.

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I always went case less until 13pro max...it was game changer for me. Finally it felt good to hold the phone!
First phone I didn't smash as well.
I'm gonna try and go back to case less for 15 as people seem to be saying 'it's better in hand'

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I'm hoping I go back caseless this year with the 15 pm. Even on AUP I've gotten a spigen/caseology case on. The 14PM is too slippery. Hoping the titanium and curved edge makes it easier to hold/non slippery. I already received 2 cases for the 15PM last Friday (spigen/caseology from amazon). I could care less about resale value. Haven't used a screen protector in awhile. The 14PM is pristine.

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
I’ve been going caseless the 5s days. These devices have so much thought into the design, it begs to be used caseless. My 15PM in Nat Ti is gorgeous. The only thing I do is a screen protector with an Apple MagSafe wallet. Let’s see some caseless shots!

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
i always want to try it, but every time i reverted back to the case. i'm on IUP so nick and ding don't bother me, it's the slippery and comfort level in my hand that bother me for the previous iPhone without cases. from the release video last week, the titanium has a somewhat matte look to it, and the edges seem not as sharp as the previous pro phones. maybe this time i do go caseless. are anyone else thinking the same?
Go caseless, it’s begging to be used this way! 💪🏼

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
I was very much inclined to go case less this year because it's gonna be using titanium, but now I need to wrap it in a case due to it using titanium 🤣.. the reviews so far had been terrible on the durability
1. PVD coating scratches easily
2. Overly smudgy
3. Rear glass seems to be having some weakness and is more susceptible to crack

I used the previous phones case less at times and love the feel of it, so I'm seriously considering dropping the case and going with a wrap so that the curved edges and reduction in weight can be fully appreciated

JacksTLOS

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
I was going caseless and only got this totalle to use periodically but I really like the lip around the camera and it’s so thin and light! Literally fits right over the frame and sits flush with the buttons. Got it in green and it did what I was hoping… combined with the blue from the phone it looks jade 😁 (I’m not endorsing Totallee, apparently its a chinese copy you can get off eBay much cheaper. I used CC points to pay for it so take it as is) Still going caseless for the most part unless I think there’s a high chance of damaging phone
IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: rolandkoller90

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
I was also getting worried when I saw JerryRigEverything’s video on the back breaking. But ya know what? Life is short. I always go caseless, so caseless I’ll remain. The phone feels so nice to hold. I repair phones for a living so I’m comfortable fixing mine. I’ll just buy the oem parts through apple’s self service website if I ever crack mine.

Reactions: richxps

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
I was also getting worried when I saw JerryRigEverything’s video on the back breaking. But ya know what? Life is short. I always go caseless, so caseless I’ll remain. The phone feels so nice to hold. I repair phones for a living so I’m comfortable fixing mine. I’ll just buy the oem parts through apple’s self service website if I ever crack mine.
Yeah caseless is the way. It’s a phone and not an ancient relic.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I settled somewhere in the middle, naked inside, anti theft lanyard case when travelling on foot - learned the hard way.
What’s this lanyard case? I tend to rock naked phone at home and case on my 3 in office days a week. Case for travel or with family that might want to use my phone for pics. Nobody else is as careful as me haha.

odanrot

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2015
Got the phone on Friday (iPhone 15 Pro Max) and on Sunday I dropped it on the kitchen floor from pocket level.

No case.

Back shattered.

Took it into the Apple Store today and they don't have replacement parts yet for the iPhone 15. But...they did have a replacement phone for me (the ones that are brand new but come in the little brown box).

I've had every phone Apple has made. In the last few years, they seem to have gotten much more robust. I don't know if I was just unlucky with how it landed or if this one is more fragile. Guess time will tell.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
What’s this lanyard case? I tend to rock naked phone at home and case on my 3 in office days a week. Case for travel or with family that might want to use my phone for pics. Nobody else is as careful as me haha.
My 13 Pro got stolen from front pocket in a busy place. Less likely to happen if you wear a lanyard case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.