Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Yeah but they still overheat in the hot sun.
I've never had this happen to me. Maybe it is because when I shoot with my phone, it tends to be short clips here and there, rarely more than a few minutes. I learned how to shoot with Hi8, so I prefer to edit in the camera and not do much post either.

Maybe you could build some kind of handle with a sun shield. Start with a selfie stick, don't extend it, and then make a thick paper hat to block the sun. You'll need to plan out your design to match how you like to shoot. I find this crafty stuff to be quite fun.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I've never had this happen to me. Maybe it is because when I shoot with my phone, it tends to be short clips here and there, rarely more than a few minutes. I learned how to shoot with Hi8, so I prefer to edit in the camera and not do much post either.

Maybe you could build some kind of handle with a sun shield. Start with a selfie stick, don't extend it, and then make a thick paper hat to block the sun. You'll need to plan out your design to match how you like to shoot. I find this crafty stuff to be quite fun.
Perhaps you do not live in a state that gets very very hot in the summer.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

vizzini

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Yes, the Sony CX405 is very good for the price. We have one in addition to the Panasonic I mentioned earlier. Do note that it does not have the capacity for an external mic (if you needed that).

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Where is the USB port? One thing I like about it is that there is no touch screen and touch screens are annoying on a camcorder.

The USB port is built into the handle. If you look at the picture of the rear of the camera you can see the USB lead. However that model while still current came out in 2015, so is potentially an older design than your current canon, so probably not an upgrade to what you have. Why are you looking to upgrade, if you don't have interest in 4k ? Why not stick with your current Canon ?

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The USB port is built into the handle. If you look at the picture of the rear of the camera you can see the USB lead. However that model while still current came out in 2015, so is potentially an older design than your current canon, so probably not an upgrade to what you have. Why are you looking to upgrade, if you don't have interest in 4k ? Why not stick with your current Canon ?
Yes I am gonna need too. Touch screen is annoying but it works. Don’t need WIFi nor 4K. Besides just bought a MacBook Air and iPhone 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.