Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
EU: No one uses iPhone in Europe.

Also EU: iMessage must be designated a gatekeeper due to the large amount of users

All this BS sucks. Google just wants to force their version of RCS to collect user data. There’s already SMS that’s available on every phone. Even old flip phones.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
iMessage in its current form can’t be made interoperable because it relies on a private key burned into every apple devices’ Secure Enclave during manufacturing to decrypt the incoming message. If you have an iPhone and iPad and someone sends you an iMessage you are actually getting 2 separate messages each encrypted with a different public key. This hardware specific feature is only found on apple silicon.

There is a solution to comply however:

(A) disable iMessage for all apple devices sold in the EU
(B) disable end to end encryption for iMessage for EU devices. All messages sent to devices sold in the region are plain text. Then install a gateway to forward messages from other messaging systems into/out of iMessage ecosystem.

You know what is the biggest impediment to communication interoperability in the EU? The plethora of languages! They need to mandate that everyone in the union speaks a single language! /s

Tell you the truth it can be. Hardware based key is only one of the options. The same hardware key could be emulated with software.

Also as you pointed out E2E encryption. Still possible as the public private key is tied to each chat. Between 2 apple devices it is end to end. More like account to account encrypted. If between say WhatsApp and iMessage those conversations might not be end to end as Apple does not control the connection from iMessage to WhatsApp. Still could be E2E if WhatsApp uses its own public private key for each conversation.

The protocols for convos does not change so only risk of compromise exist only on conversations at go out of of apples system.

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
Oh great, now scammers will be able to spam me via iMessage, thanks EU just what I always wanted.
If you follow what von der Leyen & co are doing in the EU, nothing surprises you anymore. I actually only use a "special" messenger anymore. I was born in East Germany and thought those days were over...

The only reason to act like that is possible surveillance. T-Mobile here in Europe agrees to all of that.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
If you follow what von der Leyen & co are doing in the EU, nothing surprises you anymore. I actually only use a "special" messenger anymore. I was born in East Germany and thought those days were over...

The only reason to act like that is possible surveillance. T-Mobile here in Europe agrees to all of that.
And T-Mobile here in the USA keeps getting breached and leaking my private identity data (which was stolen, not provided with my permission), but self-aggrandizing social warrior Timothy Youngblood keeps his job.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
A bit of history for our American friends... The East German Post - as the only "state-owned telephone provider" in the GDR - monitored the people in droves. I know this very well, because I had cleaned the windows there as an apprentice back then. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, they came together with the West German postal service, from which T-Mobile emerged. And now you can all think about it...

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
Why not regulate Apple to make an Android version of iMessage? That way people who want to use it can use it and it can keep it more secure.
The problem is Apple not supporting RCS and bundling your run of the mill text messaging with iMessage means it breaks the whole experience of messaging for everyone. Sure they can create an Android iMessage app if they like, and that’ll be welcome, but iPhone owners should not be held hostage behind Apple’s wall from using RCS with their phone numbers with other phone numbers.

Reactions: AirunJae and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
We should all be on the same messaging standard. This is just like the whole USB C issue.
Standards exist for a reason.....it ensures they support technical regulations, ensure interoperability. The whole tech world has standards for everything around software and technology. Messaging is no different. We should all be on the same standard.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Everybody uses SMS. OR, more correctly, everybody CAN use SMS. If you know their number, try it! Their carrier may end up charging them, but, hey, at least you’re not using the app they’re forcing you to use.

If you don’t know their number… you’re kinda cut off from them already :)

Not always. The key part is messaging service and iMessage for example does not require the use of a phone number. For example I can use iMessage using only the account it is tied to that has no phone number tied to it. SMS is not a fall back in that case.

WhatsApp is the same way no phone number tied to it.

RigSatMe

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
iMessage in its current form can’t be made interoperable because it relies on a private key burned into every apple devices’ Secure Enclave during manufacturing to decrypt the incoming message. If you have an iPhone and iPad and someone sends you an iMessage you are actually getting 2 separate messages each encrypted with a different public key. This hardware specific feature is only found on apple silicon.

There is a solution to comply however:

(A) disable iMessage for all apple devices sold in the EU
(B) disable end to end encryption for iMessage for EU devices. All messages sent to devices sold in the region are plain text. Then install a gateway to forward messages from other messaging systems into/out of iMessage ecosystem.

You know what is the biggest impediment to communication interoperability in the EU? The plethora of languages! They need to mandate that everyone in the union speaks a single language! /s 😆
That would be awesome: iPhone EU version and iPhone non-EU version where apple should drop support for iPhone EU version for 100%.

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
And T-Mobile here in the USA keeps getting breached and leaking my private identity data (which was stolen, not provided with my permission), but self-aggrandizing social warrior Timothy Youngblood keeps his job.
It seems like, T-Mobile gives the Data on "request" right away to the government. Keep that in mind. If they do it in Germany, the will do it all over the world. That's why i do not believe in "Leaks".

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This is just getting gross. Whose fault is it that “enriched messaging” “only exists” on Apple platforms?

Hangouts, Talk, Duo, those are just the ones I used/was constantly pestered to use and Google killed them all. There are probably more I’m not thinking of.

Google is just being petty because they are incapable of playing the long game Apple has been at for over a decade.

Google has Messages with their own implementation of RCS, why aren’t they encouraging governments to meddle in that? They would of course argue that there aren’t enough users…

I wouldn’t be opposed to Apple releasing iMessage for Android but that’s their decision and I think it’s wrong for governments to meddle in that, especially when they are clearly being goaded by a competitor to do so.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
We should all be on the same messaging standard. This is just like the whole USB C issue.
Standards exist for a reason.....it ensures they support technical regulations, ensure interoperability. The whole tech world has standards for everything around software and technology. Messaging is no different. We should all be on the same standard.
We are, it’s called SMS

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
iMessage requires users to own an Apple device or computer.
If EU forces this open then I should be able to use Samsung pay on my iPhone or run Android on my iPhone. o_O

Reactions: LalaN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.