Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Interested in grabbing a P8P to play around with but the eSIM swapping seems really annoying. Anyone dealing with this? (I’m on ATT)

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Interested in grabbing a P8P to play around with but the eSIM swapping seems really annoying. Anyone dealing with this? (I’m on ATT)
I've been using a physical sim and swapping but I don't swap my iPhone line which is only eSIM

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Still scratching my head how no network, no sim = drain on wifi only. I don't know. Possibly just me not knowing the device well yet. 🙂

Anyway unrooted and trying to run a backlog of updates and perhaps get into rotation finally. Haven't decided if I'm going to root once the updates finish or not. Probably about 75% of doing so just to block the obnoxious ads.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Still scratching my head how no network, no sim = drain on wifi only. I don't know. Possibly just me not knowing the device well yet. 🙂

Anyway unrooted and trying to run a backlog of updates and perhaps get into rotation finally. Haven't decided if I'm going to root once the updates finish or not. Probably about 75% of doing so just to block the obnoxious ads.
This is my experiences but.....when I used to root and flash roms from XDA, I noticed a ton more outgoing data then on stock roms. For whatever reasons there seemed to be more outgoing data then normal stock roms from the OEM manufacturer. This drained my battery....among other things.

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
Pretty easy via the AT&T website to swap sims but you have a limit each day on how many times you can do it for security purposes. I have a iPhone 15 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra and Pixel 8 pro that I swap around Alot. It used to be a pain but it is pretty seamless now. I'm now just going to rock the Pixel 8 pro and most likely sell the other 2 devices as I just want to make it easier and stick to one ecosystem.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Pretty easy via the AT&T website to swap sims but you have a limit each day on how many times you can do it for security purposes. I have a iPhone 15 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra and Pixel 8 pro that I swap around Alot. It used to be a pain but it is pretty seamless now. I'm now just going to rock the Pixel 8 pro and most likely sell the other 2 devices as I just want to make it easier and stick to one ecosystem.
That's good to hear that it has gotten easier for the end user. Apple pushing the envelope helps a lot because I doubt eSim would get the traction it has if it was any other company besides Apple pushing the idea.

I'm on Mint Mobile and it's also pretty easy to switch. However I only get two eSim swaps free per 12 months. After that it's $5 per swap so i'm glad Pixel phones still use physical sims.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Great to know, thank you!

Reactions: Tig Bitties

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Any one who have/had the iphone 15 pro max and P8P regreted getting rid of the iphone? The iPhone hardware is so much better, but the p8p feels nicer in the hand and I prefer Android I think. Plus it works better with Non-Apple stuff... But the Battery life concerns me.. iMessage and Facetime are covered by whatsapp

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
That's good to hear that it has gotten easier for the end user. Apple pushing the envelope helps a lot because I doubt eSim would get the traction it has if it was any other company besides Apple pushing the idea.

I'm on Mint Mobile and it's also pretty easy to switch. However I only get two eSim swaps free per 12 months. After that it's $5 per swap so i'm glad Pixel phones still use physical sims.
AT&T doesn't charge for swaps if you use the website.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Tried this today, worked like a charm, thanks again!

Reactions: Tig Bitties

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
At the Google IO today was indicated that the maxed out version of Gemini Nano because it requires more powerful hardware will only run on Pixel 9 and not be run on any Pixel 8 devices or lower.

Reactions: bousozoku
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.