Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
In particular, if I search for "[something] wikipedia" on my phone, I'm getting Wikipedia results in every language except English. Yesterday I got French and Italian, just now I got Malaysian.

If I search for "[movie name] imdb" then the first few hits are for the reviews sub-page of IMDB, and none of the hits are for the main IMDB page for that movie.

I'm logged into the same Google account on my iPhone and my MacBook. If I search for something on my MacBook, Google functions the same as it always has. Wikipedia results in English, correct IMDB links, etc.

It's just Google on my phone that's screwed up somehow. How is this even possible? Has anybody else seen such behavior before? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I don't use Goog for my search engine . . . but, it has become increasingly (and suspiciously) evident that Goog is *not* doing things that it could do to support the AAPL Eco.

Nevertheless, SEO has drastically changed the field . . . these days, it takes me 10x longer to get some decent, and pertinent, results.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Don't use Google, switch to Duck Duck Go and use bangs for those searches.

!w searches or wikipwedia in your default language, while !wen searches specifically for English wikipedia pages.

!imdb to seach IMDB.

Then use the !g bang when you _need_ to use google...

motrek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
In particular, if I search for "[something] wikipedia" on my phone, I'm getting Wikipedia results in every language except English. Yesterday I got French and Italian, just now I got Malaysian.

If I search for "[movie name] imdb" then the first few hits are for the reviews sub-page of IMDB, and none of the hits are for the main IMDB page for that movie.

I'm logged into the same Google account on my iPhone and my MacBook. If I search for something on my MacBook, Google functions the same as it always has. Wikipedia results in English, correct IMDB links, etc.

It's just Google on my phone that's screwed up somehow. How is this even possible? Has anybody else seen such behavior before? Thanks in advance.
The problem resolved itself after a couple days. No longer getting Wikipedia results in foreign languages, etc.

Not sure what happened. Oh well.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
The problem resolved itself after a couple days. No longer getting Wikipedia results in foreign languages, etc.

Not sure what happened. Oh well.
I was getting the same thing as well recently on my phone. I think it's a Google thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.