Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Yeah, it's pretty cool.
Kinda oddish... in a way.
But I like it.
'Tis pretty fun. I like the city part, to see which city viewed what the most.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I did the term NHL. I can't believe it, Canada is 1 obviously but the US is 7?! There are 5 countries that don't even have the NHL whose citizens are searching for NHL more than the US. :(

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
As most have said, it is kinda fun to play around with. But what is the actual use of it? Sure, you can analyse statistical data from the net, but other than that....not much point to it.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Shamus said:
As most have said, it is kinda fun to play around with. But what is the actual use of it? Sure, you can analyse statistical data from the net, but other than that....not much point to it.

Well maybe it is useful for small businesses because they can find out where people are interested in them and all that other stuff.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
killuminati said:
I did the term NHL. I can't believe it, Canada is 1 obviously but the US is 7?! There are 5 countries that don't even have the NHL whose citizens are searching for NHL more than the US. :(

in case you didn't notice ;) , there are foreigners that play in the nhl.

there is this chinese nba player. i would bet, more chinese have searched his name than north americans.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
killuminati said:

Its possible that people in the US already know that NHL is http://www.nhl.com and don't need to search for it.

eMac4ever

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
The cities look a little messed up because
Google Trends first looks at a sample of all Google searches to determine the cities from which we received the most searches for your first term. Then, for those top cities, Google Trends calculates the ratio of searches for your term coming from each city divided by total Google searches coming from the same city. The city ranking you see on the page and the bar charts alongside each city name both represent this ratio.
- Google

So I think, they pick the city with the highest percentage of searches being the chosen term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.