Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
My main mail address was publicly listed on the dark web. The address was disclosed via various hacks of mainstream websites (DataCamp, Dropbox, LinkedIn, and more). I began receiving tons (and I mean tons!!!) of spam emails and phishing attempts everyday. Most of the phishing attempts are obvious forgeries but some are actually very well done (Amazon, Chase).

So, my attempt at preventing something like this in the future was to have multiple email addresses. Currently, I use separate email addresses for sites depending on my level of trust. But I now have 13 separate email addresses!!! This is getting quite ridiculous.

My solution to this new problem is to get a Google workspace account. The idea is that I will only have 1 email address and multiple aliases (ex: shopping1@mydomain dot com, etc.). If one gets disclosed again, I can shut it down and start a new one (shopping2@mydomain dot com).

Does anyone here have a Google Workspace account? I'm thinking about using it to get multiple email aliases. Are there any safety issues that I need to consider when using my own custom domain or is it just like having a regular gmail account? Will the iOS/macOS Mail apps allow me to send from those aliases or only from the Gmail app? Do you recommend this new solution?

Last edited:

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
A virtual server solution does same. Depending on the service package, an unlimited number of mailboxes can be created.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.