Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
  • iPad: “This is the basic iPad functionality. It’s the things you love in an iPad at a very affordable price.”
  • iPad Air: “iPad Air takes those previously Pro features at a more mainstream price.”
  • iPad Pro: “The idea is it’s pushing the edges, not just in what an iPad can do. In the case of we did with the Ultra Retina XDR display, it’s the world’s best display, period. You can’t get that anywhere else. It’s always pushing the edge to be the very best iPad it can be, and then hopefully someday, you’ll see those then migrate through the line.”
Good to see someone at Apple explain the lineup in a way that makes sense. I think there’s still question marks around iPad Pro, especially now that the Air comes in a larger size.

Reactions: the future

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
Makes complete sense to me, and fairly straightforward if you don't take their naming scheme literally (which no one really should, the naming is just pure marketing). Air products will not always represent the thinnest and lightest product, and Pro products will not always represent what is used by / made for Pros.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Makes complete sense to me, and fairly straightforward if you don't take their naming scheme literally (which no one really should, the naming is just pure marketing). Air products will not always represent the thinnest and lightest product, and Pro products will not always represent what is used by / made for Pros.
I’ve just scanned reviews for the new iPad Pro and they’re all basically the same: amazing hardware letdown by software. Maybe if they called it iPad Ultra or iPad Deluxe (and yes I hate both of those names) there wouldn’t be an expectation that should replace a MBA. Of course I get it; with the hardware it has people are expecting it to be more than a big iPhone.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Good to see someone at Apple explain the lineup in a way that makes sense. I think there’s still question marks around iPad Pro, especially now that the Air comes in a larger size.
Why it took so long for Apple to derived long-released “Pro” features: 120hz display and quad speakers on iPad Air? It doesn’t make sense.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Why it took so long for Apple to derived long-released “Pro” features: 120hz display and quad speakers on iPad Air? It doesn’t make sense.

So far the Air was first to get its form factor, Pencil 2 and USB C (2020) and also got its keyboard, but those things had been on the Pro since 2018. Quad speakers, the bigger size and Promotion were 2015 and we’re still waiting for two of them.

There’s no hard and fast rule, clearly. Features that Apple think are most likely to drive sales to the Pro will take the longest to trickle down (and I suspect the screen size came now because the Pro will go bigger before too long.)

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Baffles me why anyone would need the line up "explaining".

Isn't it incredibly obvious?

If one isnt sure one only has to look at the pricing structure.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
The software has always been lagging behind with the iPad hardware. And that is an Achilles heel for people who want to do more than watch YouTube, check mail, and browse the internet.
I do quite a substantial lot more than that with mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.