Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
I was wondering if the Mac Studio has any option for handling power fluctuations. The only reason one would prefer a laptop over a desktop is because of sudden power outages - sometimes, very often in many cities of India - including metro cities. Almost everyone who uses a desktop has a 20 min power backup inverter. What kind of inverter would one need to handle a maxed out version of a Mac Studio ? I wouldn't want the HDD to go kaput just because of a power failure and the macOS gets shuts down and doesn't recover. This was a thing in the past with Windows desktops. How's the situation now ? Can this happen to a 2TB SSD too ?

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I was wondering if the Mac Studio has any option for handling power fluctuations. The only reason one would prefer a laptop over a desktop is because of sudden power outages - sometimes, very often in many cities of India - including metro cities. Almost everyone who uses a desktop has a 20 min power backup inverter. (1) What kind of inverter would one need to handle a maxed out version of a Mac Studio ? I wouldn't want the (2) HDD to go kaput just because of a power failure and the macOS gets shuts down and doesn't recover. This was a thing in the past with Windows desktops. How's the situation now ? (3) Can this happen to a 2TB SSD too ?

(1) Mac Studio has a 370W PSU; APC has a model that has 850VA and handles 450W, something in that range should do the trick...

(2) Mac Studio uses SSD, not HDD...

(3) Size does not matter...

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
But then in the event of power failure, an SSD is prone to data corruption more so than HDD due to how SSD writing works.

I agree that you would need a decent enough UPS, probably something mid range like the APC Smart line, or the CyberPower LCD line.

The Studio while having a 370W PSU sounds a lot, I don't think it is ever going to reach that unless you absolutely bombard it with tasks that ask for CPU GPU and I/O at the same time, where with how powerful the M1 Ultra is I have a hard time imagining any ordinary user would be able to. So depending on your budget and options in India, something near 750VA may already be quite enough, or if you have other peripherals you also want to protect then 1000-1500VA is going to be plenty.

macOS has built-in UPS ability (I think it is NUT based) so most smart UPS's can communicate with the Mac via a USB cable, you can program forced or graceful shutdowns in events of power failure from the mains.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
"Cos of you I am rocking five generators just so I can stay online..." - Warlock

I have a 1500VA / 900W APC UPS, it will be yawning when I change out the PC for a Mac Studio...! ;^p

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
If you go strictly by the PSU rating on the Mac Studio, you'll would need a fairly hefty UPS. But the Mac almost certainly won't be drawing anywhere near this amount of power when being used normal everyday tasks. As @now i see it has said, I think any standard UPS will probably do for this purpose.

If you want to use it for hours under heavy load, you'll need something larger. But if your goal is to handle short outages and to prevent data corruption, you won't need anything special. The Mac Studio won't be drawing anywhere near 370 watts when it's being used for web browsing or flushing its caches to disk.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
There used to be a very good UPS provider in India called way-india.com / way-electric.com - I don't know why they are no longer in business - I had a Delta N 1K - http://way-india.com/N_Series_Data_Sheet.html more than 10 yrs ago - then ditched PCs altogether after I switched to laptops 100% in 2012. Now am looking for an advanced UPS incase I get the Mac Studio at a later point int time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.