Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today is the official launch day of the new iPad Pro models, and these updated tablets mark the biggest feature and design refresh that we've seen for the iPad Pro in several years. We picked up one of the new 13-inch models to check out everything new.

When it comes to design, Apple is still offering 11-inch and 13-inch size options and the look hasn't changed a whole lot, but the bezels are slimmer and the iPads themselves are super thin. The 13-inch iPad Pro is the thinnest device Apple has made to date at 5.1mm, while the 11-inch iPad Pro is 5.3mm.

With the 13-inch model weighing in just over a pound, the decrease in weight and size is noticeable and makes it feel much more portable. The 11-inch model is under a pound, so it's even easier to carry around. This is a design change that you'll feel if you've used a 2018 or later iPad Pro.

The OLED display is, unsurprisingly, super nice. It's bright, the colors are vibrant, the blacks are incredibly black, and the contrast is much improved. The mini-LED display of the prior-generation 13-inch iPad Pro was good, but this is better. Still, if you have that one, it's probably not worth upgrading for OLED. Nano-texture, an add-on option for higher-end models, cuts down on glare, but it also diminishes the OLED display a bit because of the matte finish.

Apple moved the camera to the landscape edge of the iPad Pro, which makes a lot of sense because most people are probably using it in that orientation. Video calls no longer require turning the iPad into an awkward position if you have a keyboard attached. Note that Apple did pull the Ultra Wide camera, so there's just a single Wide lens and a LiDAR sensor.

The M4 chip is incredibly fast, fast enough that it's likely most people purchasing an iPad Pro aren't going to be able to take full advantage of its capabilities. It's going to be hard to max this chip out, and it'll handle audio and video editing with ease. Apple is focusing heavily on AI with its new operating system updates, so those AI will be able to take advantage of that processing power, and it'll come in handy for future proofing.

If you want to use the iPad Pro for anything that involves typing, the Magic Keyboard is a must. It's priced starting at $299, but it's thin, light weight, and the aluminum hand rest makes it feel Mac-like. It's got good key travel and the glass trackpad is a major improvement.

For Apple Pencil users, the Apple Pencil Pro's haptic feedback is the most noticeable change. With the squeeze gesture, you can swap tools more quickly and have more feedback when creating sketches and art. Barrel roll also lets you use the Apple Pencil more like an actual writing or drawing implement. The Apple Pencil charges magnetically, and pairs automatically, like prior versions.

The only real downside to the iPad Pro is the software that it's running. iPadOS is still so limited compared to macOS, especially for multitasking and app functionality. Federico Viticci's recent writeup on the iPadOS basics that Apple gets wrong is well worth a read. Still, there are some workflows that are adaptable to the iPad Pro, and it's a great portable machine. If you're a person who can make use of a tablet, this is the best one you can get.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New M4 OLED iPad Pro

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
but does it BEND!?
one step closer to a folding ipad.....
1715795619857.jpeg

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Interesting that no one seems to mention that the corner radius of the display has increased a lot. Now it properly matches the device frame radius, unlike all the previous edge-to-edge iPads.

Seems like Apple forgot to tell their software engineers though. When you open an app, you can see a wrong corner radius for a split second before it switches to the correct one.

IMG_4191.jpeg

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
YouTube through Safari also supports AV1 but just now I had the same test video revert to VP9 codec. Force closing Safari wouldn’t reload the video in AV1 but a full device restart did. It could be a bug with adjusting (unrelated) Safari feature flags, despite reinstating the defaults.

The feature flag I adjusted was to try and enable 120fps animation for the Blurbusters UFO test. No luck with that.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
YouTube through Safari also supports AV1 but just now I had the same test video revert to VP9 codec. Force closing Safari wouldn’t reload the video in AV1 but a full device restart did. It could be a bug with adjusting (unrelated) Safari feature flags, despite reinstating the defaults.

The feature flag I adjusted was to try and enable 120fps animation for the Blurbusters UFO test. No luck with that.
Setting the feature flag in Safari on my M2 iPad Pro 11 works...120Hz in UFO test. What, exactly, aren't you having luck with?

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
I can only presume they are putting an M4 chip in the iPad because they intend to blow us away at WWDC, failing that it becomes a pointless exercise at this point.

I too am wondering if WWDC's iPadOS 18 presentation will yield some sort of major excitement, because I'm torn about getting one considering it has SO much power, and yet it's essentially large form factor iOS.

I have an M1 12.9" Pro, admittedly the only thing I major care about is the OLED display, but the mini-led display is hardly unpleasant to look at.

$1299 is hard to justify for just this, even though I really want to send for one to be delivered this afternoon.

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
dering if WWDC's iPadOS 18 presentation will yield some sort of major excitement, because I'm torn about getting one considering it has SO much power, and yet it's essentially large form factor iOS.

I have an M1 12.9" Pro, admittedly the only thing I major care a

I wouldn't upgrade. I went with the new 13" because I wanted a larger screen, but if I had the M1 12.9 there would be no upgrade for me.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The only real downside to the iPad Pro is the software that it's running. iPadOS is still so limited compared to macOS, especially for multitasking and app functionality. Federico Viticci's recent writeup on the iPadOS basics that Apple gets wrong is well worth a read.
One of the reasons that vs a Surface, Yoga, etc. the iPad and all its variants don't feel like a computer replacement no matter the accessories, trackpads, keyboards, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.