Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
I have looked thru many threads on this, and many replies over on the Apple website. But has anyone been able to stop Junk Mail filtering on Mail? Of course I unchecked the enable box in settings on Mail, but it still is deleting mail in iCloud mailboxes. Made sure my iMac and PowerBook had the same settings. But it still sends mail to the junk folder. It is learning from what I have deleted without reading, but a lot of times I just need to read the snippet in the Inbox and I can delete without needed to read the whole message. Any ideas? Thanks!

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Good question. I have mine turned off also but it still does it. Can't find a setting in iPhone or iPad with latest iOS. I haven't done it yet, but have you checked on iCloud.com and sign in to see if its there?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
Just checked iCloud account--no junk settings there. But thanks for the idea!

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Just checked iCloud account--no junk settings there. But thanks for the idea!
I guess Apple handles it for us internally? If we want an email to not be flagged junk we just add the email to our address book i guess?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
But has anyone been able to stop Junk Mail filtering on Mail? Of course I unchecked the enable box in settings on Mail, but it still is deleting mail in iCloud mailboxes.
I have mine turned off also but it still does it
The Mail client only controls junk mail filtering when a message arrives in the Inbox. But the mail server may have already put the message in the Junk mail folder - in which it is not seen by the Apple Mail client junk mail filtering.

How you control the server side junk filtering varies by mail service. Often this is done by making sure the sender is in your contacts list - that is your contacts list for that particular mail service. Or maybe by adding a server rule.

For iCloud email, https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/icloud/mm6b1a2ced/icloud says that the server "learns" by you marking just one mail from a sender as junk (or not junk) and it will do the same for future mail from that sender. But that is using the web interface - not the Apple Mail client.

I have found that Apple Mail client rules (including junk mail) are difficult to use. I now do all junk and other mail filtering on the mail servers (iCloud, Google, Microsoft). It works better.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
Thanks gilby101. It sounds like there is no way to just "shut it off," as there is no option for this in the icloud server. I think my best solution is to "retrain" it by opening my valid mail instead of deleting it without opening. Mail like order confirmations I would delete without reading. But this resulted in future mail being deleted.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
The Mail client only controls junk mail filtering when a message arrives in the Inbox. But the mail server may have already put the message in the Junk mail folder - in which it is not seen by the Apple Mail client junk mail filtering.

How you control the server side junk filtering varies by mail service. Often this is done by making sure the sender is in your contacts list - that is your contacts list for that particular mail service. Or maybe by adding a server rule.

For iCloud email, https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/icloud/mm6b1a2ced/icloud says that the server "learns" by you marking just one mail from a sender as junk (or not junk) and it will do the same for future mail from that sender. But that is using the web interface - not the Apple Mail client.

I have found that Apple Mail client rules (including junk mail) are difficult to use. I now do all junk and other mail filtering on the mail servers (iCloud, Google, Microsoft). It works better.
Oh so that's how you can do it with iCloud Mail address. I only have one email account @Mac.com. I have no other accounts set up on Apple Mail App. I don't have to add them to my address book.

Cooper27

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
I also have this issue. Apple support have passed me along various staff members and engineer teams for 9 months now trying too fix this.

Just to clarify.....
Junk Mail filter is off. However loads of mail including VIP mail, replies to emails I have sent and some junk have been sent to my junk mail. Please note the VIP's etc all exist in my address book.

Another issue I have is.... 'Automatic CCing myself' is turned off, however all emails I reply to are CC'd to me.

Its like the setting's in Mail do not work.

Messages above indicate Junk issue happens at the mail server, so I assume my .Mac email address would still continue to do this with another Mail App? Has anyone swapped to another mail app and solved this issue?

Any ideas would be amazing. Thanks

OSX 14.3.1
M3 Max MBP

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Messages above indicate Junk issue happens at the mail server, so I assume my .Mac email address would still continue to do this with another Mail App? Has anyone swapped to another mail app and solved this issue?
Server junk filtering has to be managed on the server. Doesn't matter what client - the junk filtering happens before the client has a chance to see the message. But iCloud mail server doesn't (as far as I can find) give you much control of what goes into the Junk mailbox.

Here is what https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/icloud/mm6b1a2ced/icloud says about telling the server that a sender is not Junk.

Indicate that an email isn’t junk​

1. In Mail on iCloud.com, click the Junk folder in the Mailboxes list.
  2. Select the email or emails, then do one of the following:
    • If you selected one email: Click
      the More button
      , then click Move to Inbox.
    • If you selected multiple emails: Click Mark, then click “Move to Inbox.”
Subsequent emails from the same sender are no longer automatically marked as junk.

Junk Mail filter is off. However loads of mail including VIP mail, replies to emails I have sent and some junk have been sent to my junk mail. Please note the VIP's etc all exist in my address book.
That is strange. Have you looked as the web interface in iCloud.com - you might get some idea what is happening.

Edit:
You are not the only one to have this problem. See, for example, https://www.reddit.com/r/iCloud/comments/11h1u1d and elsewhere. The general advice is not to use iCloud mail for your email. Gmail is much better in many respects.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.