Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
My PC arrived yesterday. I will share more insight over the coming weeks. Here are my quick observations:

Xbox Pros:
-It's dead silent. Even when playing games at max, it has the faintest hum that you only hear if room is dead silent and you concentrate.
-Quick resume is high underrated. The speed at which you can switch between games and resume where you left off is magic.
-Installing games is easier and quicker
-No need to fiddle with settings. Games and their performance modes are optimised.
Foot print of console is small and comparable to a case for a music CD.
-Used copies of games can be very cheap to buy and have resale value.
-Unlike PC supports Earc and is Dolby Atmos compatible.

PC Pros:
-Proper 4k gaming. When playing CP2077 the title screen is in 4k, giving it away that you are about to embark in high end gaming. Contrast, reflection, lighting and textures look waaaay richer compared with the xbox version.
-HUUUUUGE gaming catalogue. Way more than Playstation or XBOX. Spiderman, last of us, halo and titan fall are available on PC. Best of both worlds.
-Tweaking graphics can be a chore but offers lots of flexibility to tailor gameplay to your own preferences. E.g if you prefer high frame rate, you can dial down things that matter less to you.
-For Flight Simulator 2020 that I play, the range of peripherals and add-ons for telemetry are vast and can increase realism.
-For Minecraft, I have downloaded mods that not available on Xbox and the mods are free! For Minecraft, Roblox and Fortnite, there are creator tools that the Xbox will never have.
-Ray tracing is noticeable on PC. In many Xbox games it's not whilst having a detrimental impact on frame rate. Minecraft with ray tracing is sensational looking on an LG C1. However, on my PC monitor with no HDR, ray tracing is a wasted.

Every game since GTA 3 has been exclusively on consoles at release.
This should be good news to Microsoft and Sony. Fomo will be so strong that most PC fans who love GTA will likely buy a console if they don't already own one. It will be incredibly hard to avoid spoilers on social media, so the best approach is to play the game at launch.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I'm an adult and haven't owned a PC in 15 years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Surrreee okkkayyy :D ;P I was half serious. I'm assuming you have a Mac then? I can't imagine having just an Xbox and tablet and/or iphone. I really just like having a laptop that can game on the go and thats pretty much the only reason I don't have a MacBook Pro anymore :/
I am an overgrown child who plays FPS games on the ipad.
Datz a good boy. Lmao.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
With my PC, I got Alan Wake II for free. I played it yesterday. HOLY BATMAN! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The graphics are simply surreal and the best showcase of the magic of DLSS. Ran an internal resolution of 1080p with a target output of 4k. Forget upscaling. It looked like native 4k and was at 60fps. Colours pop, HDR is great and everything looks detailed

This is the game that pushed me over the edge to buy a PC. I watched the DF comparison and thought “naah, console looks good but is not full fat, especially at 60FPS”. I have played Battlefield 5 on my PC as well but the visual presentation is nowhere on the same level as AW2.

IMG_4125.jpeg

With that being said, I badly miss quick resume. I love not being confined to checkpoint saving and can simply pause, switch off console and then return where I left off.

Reactions: itsboi and Pezimak

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Surrreee okkkayyy :D ;P I was half serious. I'm assuming you have a Mac then? I can't imagine having just an Xbox and tablet and/or iphone. I really just like having a laptop that can game on the go and thats pretty much the only reason I don't have a MacBook Pro anymore :/

Datz a good boy. Lmao.
No worries, I don't take anything here too seriously. :p

I gamed on PCs up until the early CS and BF1942 era but not really since then. I've always preferred consoles and have a soft spot for Nintendo in particular, so I'd just take my Switch if I wanted to play something, assuming I could pry it out of my seven-year-old's hands that is. Before that I'd have my 3DS, DS or Game Boy (still have them all). I've gamed a bit on my Macs too, Euro/American Truck Simulator, various F1 games, Portal 1/2, and Kerbal Space Program are some of the ones I have for Mac.

Reactions: delsoul

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
No worries, I don't take anything here too seriously. :p

I gamed on PCs up until the early CS and BF1942 era but not really since then. I've always preferred consoles and have a soft spot for Nintendo in particular, so I'd just take my Switch if I wanted to play something, assuming I could pry it out of my seven-year-old's hands that is. Before that I'd have my 3DS, DS or Game Boy (still have them all). I've gamed a bit on my Macs too, Euro/American Truck Simulator, various F1 games, Portal 1/2, and Kerbal Space Program are some of the ones I have for Mac.
Can’t even begin to tell you the entire summers I burned up in front of a Tiger Direct side by side another Tiger Direct playing Condition Zero with a family member. Combat Arms at its very beginning was another good one. BF1942 was fantastic! I think my last real jaunt on PC playing was with Battlefield 2 and Deus Ex 1

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Can’t even begin to tell you the entire summers I burned up in front of a Tiger Direct side by side another Tiger Direct playing Condition Zero with a family member. Combat Arms at its very beginning was another good one. BF1942 was fantastic! I think my last real jaunt on PC playing was with Battlefield 2 and Deus Ex 1
I had to look up what Condition Zero is. 🫣 I left CS when it moved to Steam (after 1.5?) since my Half-Life CD key didn't work (must have been claimed by someone with a pirated key). CS will always be a Half-Life mod to me.

Reactions: delsoul

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I had to look up what Condition Zero is. 🫣 I left CS when it moved to Steam (after 1.5?) since my Half-Life CD key didn't work (must have been claimed by someone with a pirated key). CS will always be a Half-Life mod to me.
Absolutely! I’ve always seen CS as a half life mod. Some of the audio commands still stick with me to this day. There was a team
Audio you could do for when you planted the bawmb that would say “get out of there it’s gonna blow!”. I say it and only the nerds and old PC gamers get it. Sad or funny I’m not sure which lol

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
PS5 still treating me well. Graphics are good enough for me. I've never worried about FPS being any higher than 60FPS since I can't tell the difference. I just want a console hooked up to my TV and I don't want to mess with mods. Flow of new releases exceeds my ability to find time to play. There are still several games that I know I'd like, but I haven't had time to play. I'm just glad we are pass the point where the scalpers are grabbing up the games. So if my PS5 for some reason dies, I can just get a new one without stressing about beating out scalpers to a drop. And we are entering the zone where new games are being designed/programmed solely for this generation of consoles, which is the point where the new releases really start to take advantage of the available computing power. So I would say things are good right now.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I don’t think so. Haven’t tried the PS5, but the Xbox Series X has been great. Game Pass is the future for me as a casual gamer. Quick Resume is also a fantastic feature.

I’ve been really impressed by the graphics in Forza Motorsport and of course Flight Simulator, two titles that really do feel “next-gen” for me personally.

I agree however, that the game libraries on both platforms have been rather lacking, but let’s not forget how difficult it was to buy either of the two consoles. That’s a different story altogether though, which ultimately affected this entire console generation.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
I don’t think so. Haven’t tried the PS5, but the Xbox Series X has been great. Game Pass is the future for me as a casual gamer. Quick Resume is also a fantastic feature.

I’ve been really impressed by the graphics in Forza Motorsport and of course Flight Simulator, two titles that really do feel “next-gen” for me personally.

I agree however, that the game libraries on both platforms have been rather lacking, but let’s not forget how difficult it was to buy either of the two consoles. That’s a different story altogether though, which ultimately affected this entire console generation.
And now the Xbox series X is $399.99 on sale to boot. Prior, they were the scalpers/bots that wanted a lot more before the prices came down to normal to where we could buy one and that was a wait. Not today.

IMG_0494.jpeg

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
With my PC, I got Alan Wake II for free. I played it yesterday. HOLY BATMAN! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The graphics are simply surreal and the best showcase of the magic of DLSS. Ran an internal resolution of 1080p with a target output of 4k. Forget upscaling. It looked like native 4k and was at 60fps. Colours pop, HDR is great and everything looks detailed

This is the game that pushed me over the edge to buy a PC. I watched the DF comparison and thought “naah, console looks good but is not full fat, especially at 60FPS”. I have played Battlefield 5 on my PC as well but the visual presentation is nowhere on the same level as AW2.

View attachment 2321541

With that being said, I badly miss quick resume. I love not being confined to checkpoint saving and can simply pause, switch off console and then return where I left off.

AMD can’t match DLSS yet sadly, it’s why the next Nintendo console will be VERY interesting if they’ve put DLSS in it in some way. Looks stunning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.