Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madforrit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
Hey everyone,

I have a need for short term DVD burning capabilities and don't have the luxury of waiting until my G5 ships in August or September.

A certain distributor is selling internal Pioneer Superdrives (05) for $179, but that's BARE, meaning no software/instructions. It fits the budget perfectly in terms of a short term DVD burning solution, but my question is how difficult will it be to install this thing and get my mac to recognize it? (Software isn't as much of an issue -- I'll have DVDSP) I'm no stranger to opening up my tower (to install memory, HD's), but I'm no expert either.

My computer this drive would be going into is a G4 450 (AGP). Both bays are full, one with a DVDROM and the other with a zip (I assume I'd be removing the DVDROM).

Any help/tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

--mad:mad:

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Hmmm..., well, you don't mention which OS you are running, but I'll assume OS X, so if that is the case, the OS should recognixe the drive. I only say this because I replaced a DVD-ROM in a Pismo Powerbook with the Combo drive that comes in an iBook, and the OS recognized the drive fine. The optical drives in a tower all share the same connectors on newer machines, but I can't speak towards an 450 AGP because I never owned one. I've switched several drives in a G4 733 Digital Audio, and never had any problems. The only thing I would suggest is after installation, you make sure to download the latest Apple firmware for the Pioneer '05 model.

Regards,
Gus

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Yes, the DVD-RW installation went fine for me :) It seems to work with iDVD 3 so I hope it works with your application. Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.