Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclovin1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Hi there, I'm a newbie so please be nice - i am using a macbook with Monterey. The Finder is giving me so much problems. I like to type the name of a file, i type fast, and then see it appear - but it rarely does, and often omits folders. Often I have to find another file within a folder and navigate back to access the folder. It means moving files around is the slowest most frustrating thing on the mac - most of my files are on icloud i think - they are on desktop as well - i am not even sure if my desktop is part of icloud. But finding files, either from within other software like canva - or just in finder - is so time consuming - I wonder is using windows is better. I have tried that thing with the spotlight privacy in system preferences but it doesn't seem to work - any advice appreciated.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Hi there, I'm a newbie so please be nice - i am using a macbook with Monterey. The Finder is giving me so much problems. I like to type the name of a file, i type fast, and then see it appear - but it rarely does, and often omits folders. Often I have to find another file within a folder and navigate back to access the folder. It means moving files around is the slowest most frustrating thing on the mac - most of my files are on icloud i think - they are on desktop as well - i am not even sure if my desktop is part of icloud. But finding files, either from within other software like canva - or just in finder - is so time consuming - I wonder is using windows is better. I have tried that thing with the spotlight privacy in system preferences but it doesn't seem to work - any advice appreciated.
Hi. Welcome.
I'll try to get this going; first, you should provide some basic info like, hardware macOS version etc.

Are you aware of the 'Recent items' in the Apple menu? It shows recently used apps and documents.

Finder also has an option to show recent files in the finder window sidebar.

Are you talking about Spotlight search or Finder search? Finder has its own search top right in every window and lets you search local files only, select folders only, and can even be customized pretty extensively, unlike Snapshot which searches everything, your mac, networks, and the web.

Finder search can be saved also, as a "Smart folder" which anytime you open this folder will make the custom search.

Last edited:

maclovin1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Hi. Welcome.
I'll try to get this going; first, you should provide some basic info like, hardware macOS version etc.

Are you aware of the 'Recent items' in the Apple menu? It shows recently used apps and documents.

Finder also has an option to show recent files in the finder window sidebar.

Are you talking about Spotlight search or Finder search? Finder has its own search top right in every window and lets you search local files only, select folders only, and can even be customized pretty extensively, unlike Snapshot which searches everything, your mac, networks, and the web.

Finder search can be saved also, as a "Smart folder" which anytime you open this folder will make the custom search.

Hi, thanks for responding. I am using MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) with macos monterey version 12.6.6 (21G646)

I am referring to finder search.

I have a folder on my desktop called 'Upcoming' which has projects i'm working on - when i type 'Upcoming' in the top right box of a finder window it doesn't appear - or it sometimes appears after a load of unrelated files.

I don't know if it also classes as using the finder - but when im in canva or capcut and i upload media and the 'finder' popup appears it is also very tricky to find some folders.... some of them are on my desktop (but i think they are on icloud as well)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.