Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I currently have my 1ghz eMac running Leopard, but I want to dual boot Leopard with Tiger to see the difference in performance so I thought I'd do this by going to Disk Utility, clicking on my Hard Drive, going into the partition tab, and clicking apply. It comes up with this message however;

filesystem resize support required such as hfs+ with journaling enabled

I clicked the Mac OS X journaled before I 'tried' to partition it.

I don't know what the problem is here. Thanks for the help.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I currently have my 1ghz eMac running Leopard, but I want to dual boot Leopard with Tiger to see the difference in performance so I thought I'd do this by going to Disk Utility, clicking on my Hard Drive, going into the partition tab, and clicking apply. It comes up with this message however;

filesystem resize support required such as hfs+ with journaling enabled

I clicked the Mac OS X journaled before I 'tried' to partition it.

I don't know what the problem is here. Thanks for the help.

So perhaps your partition is HFS but not HFS+ journaled? In that case you would need to switch to HFS+ journaled and hit "apply" before moving to the step where you attempt to resize the drive. If you close out of Disk Utility and come back in and the partition is HFS+ journaled before you touch anything, then you should be able to resize it.

You do have your Mac backed up? Right? Back in my PC days, I used to make sure I had important stuff backed up before attempting to resize a partition. That habit follows me now in that I use Time Machine and at least one other backup method for all of our Macs. This saved my wife's data when her HDD somehow got wiped during a failed Lion upgrade and we had to restore from Crashplan. It turns out the Time Machine backup had gotten corrupted and if we hadn't been using Crashplan, her data would have just been gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.