Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Digging "hey siri" plus the homekit devices we've installed so far (couple ecobee3 and a schlage sense). However it's super annoying that:
1) hey siri requires me to unlock my phone to function (defeats a good chunk of the purpose if I have to pull my phone out of my pocket to unlock it)
2) touch id means that the only option for the screen to lock is "immediately"

These two things in concert really put a damper on hey siri's usefulness and time savings. I can understand #1 (if someone simply imitates your voice, security can be compromised) but not really #2...

Reactions: APlotdevice

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Weird. Maybe it's because I'm trying to lock/unlock my door and it considers that some kind of higher security operation? I'll go test changing the temperature on the thermostat and see how that goes.

I did notice that if I do hey siri via my watch, there's no need to unlock (presumably because I'm authenticating by simply wearing the watch).

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
The thermostat worked without prompting to unlock... So I guess maybe developers have an option to require an unlocked phone for certain operations?

BradWould

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
The thermostat worked without prompting to unlock... So I guess maybe developers have an option to require an unlocked phone for certain operations?
Definitely a possibility. I guess the added security makes sense when it comes to door locks. I've been thinking about the Schlage myself. But you're right you're giving up a lot of convenience for security in this situation.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
And again it could be mitigated somewhat if you could still control the passcode timing when using Touch ID, but having that forced to "immediately" is a design decision I don't understand (maybe I haven't thought it through).

BradWould

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
And again it could be mitigated somewhat if you could still control the passcode timing when using Touch ID, but having that forced to "immediately" is a design decision I don't understand (maybe I haven't thought it through).

The only other thing I could think to try is a different HomeKit app. I had a terrible time with Siri commands with the Hue app. I installed the iDevices app (completely free with no functions restricted/ no in app purchases) and Siri has worked like a dream. It's a long shot but if you are using the Schlage app perhaps the iDevices app would offer more functionality? It requires its own access to HomeKit so maybe it can play by its own rules. It definitely did with my lights. I verified that the lock is compatible with the app.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Got the app and controlling from within it manually works great, but I don't see anything in the app or anywhere on their website about how to get it to work with siri?

BradWould

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Got the app and controlling from within it manually works great, but I don't see anything in the app or anywhere on their website about how to get it to work with siri?
If you got the pop up to add it to HomeKit. It should just work. I really have no experience with the lock. But the lights worked after that. Maybe set up a scene in the app like "I'm home" and add your lock to it. Then give it a go. Then again the lights I have are wifi and the lock is Bluetooth. You may be out of luck but it's worth a shot

Last edited:

Blackshapes1980

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2016
  1. Go to Settings. -> Passcode & Fingerprint In the section that reads ALLOW ACCESS WHEN LOCKED, turn on for Siri.
  2. Fixed!

Close! Settings. -> Passcode & Fingerprint In the section that reads ALLOW ACCESS WHEN LOCKED, turn on for HOME CONTROL. Voila!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Close! Settings. -> Passcode & Fingerprint In the section that reads ALLOW ACCESS WHEN LOCKED, turn on for HOME CONTROL. Voila!
That would be for Home related items it would seem, and not something that is there in iOS 9 I believe.

josh mckee

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
san diego
Apple is already behind. When it comes to voice dictation. And now this?!?! Siri is becoming more and more useless why would I use Siri if I have to pick up my phone to unlock it. That defeats the purpose. Not to mention Apple deliberately breaking phones when they are fixed by a third party. Android looking better and better.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple is already behind. When it comes to voice dictation. And now this?!?! Siri is becoming more and more useless why would I use Siri if I have to pick up my phone to unlock it. That defeats the purpose. Not to mention Apple deliberately breaking phones when they are fixed by a third party. Android looking better and better.
What's deliberately broken? Enjoy what works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.