Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
My iPhone is suddenly using 3gb of mobile data daily and I don't understand why. I'm not watching streams on Apple TV etc. or downloading stuff. I'm just surfing a bit and checking email. I've turned off mobile data use for Photos on the iPhone.

I am connected to the hotspot with my MBP 16" but I've set the iPhone itself to low data mode in iOS settings as well as the network settings on the Mac. I'm not transferring big files or anything.

I'm using the iPhone "My Data Mgr" app which I know and trust since years, it's showing me my total usage but I can't see which app uses how much data per hour/day. Does anyone know an iPhone app that does?

I'm also trying to find a corresponding app for the Mac. I have Activity Monitor open but it doesn't reveal any high use either. For example, during the past two hours it tells me that Safari has used 130mb, but the app on my iPhone says I've used more than 500mb during that same time.

What gives? Any help would be most appreciated.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Go to Settings -> Cellular and the usage is shown there per app. The usage shown will be from when you last reset statistics, so you may need to reset it first and then keep an eye on it.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Go to Settings -> Cellular and the usage is shown there per app. The usage shown will be from when you last reset statistics, so you may need to reset it first and then keep an eye on it.
Ah, I hadn't seen that reset button. Will do that, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.