Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021

I’m getting really tired of this bug sticking around. It’s been broken since iOS 16 at some point and I’m making this thread to bring more attention to it and to make more people aware that it’s even broken because you might not even know.

So in the video above, you see how it’s working perfectly as intended until you swipe to your App Library or swipe left to the widget screen. The icons will then stop moving completely (except for the notification badges for some dumb reason) until you restart your device.

One thing to note is that swiping down for search doesn’t break it and it will continue to work just as long as you don’t look at the App Library or the dedicated widget page (widget screen from the lock screen is okay though).

I first noticed this glitch because at some point I didn’t see my icons moving and I thought maybe they had ditched this “feature” but then I was watching a video on YouTube from that Brandon guy “what’s up guys, my name is Brandon and today we’re going to talk about iOS 17.3 beta 4”.

Anyways, in one of his videos he had his screen recording as he talked and waved his phone around. I saw his icons moving and it made me curious as to how he got it to work. So I restarted my iPhone and sure enough I had the movement back. Then a few minutes later they were still again and I was baffled. So I kept an eye on when exactly they stopped and that’s when I saw the trend. When I swiped left or right on the Home Screen, they would stop until I restarted. I’ve reported this bug and they have yet to fix it (if they even will, knowing Apple).

What do y’all think of this bug? I wish they’d just at least give us a way to turn it off without using low power mode.

mr.vince

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
So where shall we report this? I‘d assume this needs some exposure until Apple will notice.

mr.vince

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
I sent feedback but I doubt they care. You can’t even select 17.3 as the version one‘s using… still on 17.2.1 for the form.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
I sent feedback but I doubt they care. You can’t even select 17.3 as the version one‘s using… still on 17.2.1 for the form.
Apple are ALWAYS 1 to 3 versions behind with the dropdowns. You leave it blank and put 17.3 in the problem text.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
I know they won’t fix it but why even have the feature if it doesn’t work as intended? Might as well just disable it completely at this point if it doesn’t work reliably

Allwordzaremadeup

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2022

I’m getting really tired of this bug sticking around. It’s been broken since iOS 16 at some point and I’m making this thread to bring more attention to it and to make more people aware that it’s even broken because you might not even know.

So in the video above, you see how it’s working perfectly as intended until you swipe to your App Library or swipe left to the widget screen. The icons will then stop moving completely (except for the notification badges for some dumb reason) until you restart your device.

One thing to note is that swiping down for search doesn’t break it and it will continue to work just as long as you don’t look at the App Library or the dedicated widget page (widget screen from the lock screen is okay though).

I first noticed this glitch because at some point I didn’t see my icons moving and I thought maybe they had ditched this “feature” but then I was watching a video on YouTube from that Brandon guy “what’s up guys, my name is Brandon and today we’re going to talk about iOS 17.3 beta 4”.

Anyways, in one of his videos he had his screen recording as he talked and waved his phone around. I saw his icons moving and it made me curious as to how he got it to work. So I restarted my iPhone and sure enough I had the movement back. Then a few minutes later they were still again and I was baffled. So I kept an eye on when exactly they stopped and that’s when I saw the trend. When I swiped left or right on the Home Screen, they would stop until I restarted. I’ve reported this bug and they have yet to fix it (if they even will, knowing Apple).

What do y’all think of this bug? I wish they’d just at least give us a way to turn it off without using low power mode.
I thought they got rid the parallax effect in iOS 17? How do you activate it

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
True, they're more worried about a slight glitch in the volume control than an entire feature just not working as intended.

I submitted the bug, but I doubt it will be fixed since apparently iOS 18 is going to be a massive overhaul and it probably won't even matter at that point.

What surprises me more is that Apple will fix a bug that you literally have to jump through hoops to even invoke, like where you had to swipe to the App Library, swipe down to search, start typing, press and hold the space bar, then without letting to, swipe back to the home screen (people do this?) and then swipe back to the App Library and try to search again, then try to scroll and the phone would freeze. Like... WHO IS DOING THIS? Want your phone to not freeze, then don't do those steps! Simple!

But here I am just wanting a simple feature to work (parallax) without having to try and avoid accidentally breaking it by swiping left or right which is incredibly easy to accidentally do while using the device.

UliBaer

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
iOS 17.3.1 on 12 Pro still has the bug and yes, that bug bothered me since some time in iOS 16 already. Don't remember the exact release though.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
iOS 17.3.1 on 12 Pro still has the bug and yes, that bug bothered me since some time in iOS 16 already. Don't remember the exact release though.
iOS 17.4 beta 2 is still messed up too. I don't see this fix making it in 17.4 either.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
True, they're more worried about a slight glitch in the volume control than an entire feature just not working as intended.

I submitted the bug, but I doubt it will be fixed since apparently iOS 18 is going to be a massive overhaul and it probably won't even matter at that point.

What surprises me more is that Apple will fix a bug that you literally have to jump through hoops to even invoke, like where you had to swipe to the App Library, swipe down to search, start typing, press and hold the space bar, then without letting to, swipe back to the home screen (people do this?) and then swipe back to the App Library and try to search again, then try to scroll and the phone would freeze. Like... WHO IS DOING THIS? Want your phone to not freeze, then don't do those steps! Simple!

But here I am just wanting a simple feature to work (parallax) without having to try and avoid accidentally breaking it by swiping left or right which is incredibly easy to accidentally do while using the device.
the issue you're describing definitely sounds frustrating, but thats no reason to dismiss other people's issues. the "slight volume glitch" for me is... the volume literally won't adjust properly. i lower the volume to zero, it pops back up to almost full volume. i raise the volume, it drops to almost zero. it's EXTREMELY broken for me, and this is a very basic and core piece of device functionality.

imo, apple really needs to start caring about ALL these bugs. i don't care about them reskinning the ui over and over to satisfy people who get 'bored.' so much of the apple experience is broken these days, i'm really starting to question why i'm still here. (i mean probably because none of the other companies care either.) it seems the only priority anymore is to add broken features to market. whether or not anything actually works well doesn't seem to matter.

Nodnerb

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
This certainly bothers me. In fact this is my biggest gripe with apple being someone who has used android most of my life but had a few stints with apple. I left apple a few years back because I kept missing notifications on my apple watch from my iphone 13 pro. Many others had the same issue but no one seemed to care, and apple didn't seem to want to fix it. So I come back to apple this year only to find the bug is still there generations later along with others from the iphone 13 era.
So what I've found is that, in android world people would NOT let things like that slide and they would get fixed pretty quick. Apple doesn't seem to give a **** about bugs, and neither do apple fans who seem to just put up with buggy software that will likely never be fixed and carry on throwing money at them for the new version........which also doesn't fix anything.
I still don't get it.

• Haha
Reactions: TiggrToo

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Apple doesn't seem to give a **** about bugs, and neither do apple fans who seem to just put up with buggy software that will likely never be fixed and carry on throwing money at them for the new version........which also doesn't fix anything.
I still don't get it.

So, are you saying don't buy Apple products? I disagree about with "android world people would NOT let things like that slide and they would get fixed pretty quick" - I came over from Android phones and still have six Android tablets that I no longer use, having switched to iPads.

mr.vince

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
They will put in other bogus stuff but won’t fix this for ages… they are just so busy with liking their own greatness…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.