Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
I want to beta test iOS 6 but I don't want to pay the $99 for a developer account. Can someone give me some ideas as to how I can do it?

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
I want to beta test iOS 6 but I don't want to pay the $99 for a developer account. Can someone give me some ideas as to how I can do it?
Learn how to use XCode and make an app to test on the platform? Or pay a hundred bucks to have an unstable OS to show off to your friends.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Why would you do that? So you can tell your friends "hey look, I'm testing a new OS even though it's perfectly useless to test an unstable release without having app development reasons behind it"? Or maybe you think it's cool to have the latest thing? Or you really like pretending your life will become better with such a silly idea?

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
if you really, really want to do it, you'll want to follow these steps:

1. Sign up for a dev account at $99/year. This lets you install the beta.
2. Buy a 2nd iphone to run it on, because it's an unfinished, unstable piece of software and you really, REALLY don't want this on a phone you actually use and rely on.

I'll run it on my 3GS and iPad 2 as I don't use them for anything other than testing. And only because I need to test apps with it.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Why would you do that? So you can tell your friends "hey look, I'm testing a new OS even though it's perfectly useless to test an unstable release without having app development reasons behind it"? Or maybe you think it's cool to have the latest thing? Or you really like pretending your life will become better with such a silly idea?

if you really, really want to do it, you'll want to follow these steps:

1. Sign up for a dev account at $99/year. This lets you install the beta.
2. Buy a 2nd iphone to run it on, because it's an unfinished, unstable piece of software and you really, REALLY don't want this on a phone you actually use and rely on.

I'll run it on my 3GS and iPad 2 as I don't use them for anything other than testing. And only because I need to test apps with it.
This. End this thread with this. Please just kill this thread now, cause by the end of the day we'll have a million threads along the lines of "Why does my phone keep crashing on iOS 6?" or "X app doesn't work well with iOS 6". It should also be noted that once you restore to the beta of iOS 6 you won't be able to downgrade back to 5.1.1.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky

this is like last year when there were millions on top of millions of people asking to get signed up to test it. They even made it a rule where you couldnt ask because so many were

verizoniphone4

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
This. End this thread with this. Please just kill this thread now, cause by the end of the day we'll have a million threads along the lines of "Why does my phone keep crashing on iOS 6?" or "X app doesn't work well with iOS 6". It should also be noted that once you restore to the beta of iOS 6 you won't be able to downgrade back to 5.1.1.

I'm sure you will be able to downgrade. This was said with the 4/5 betas and both could downgrade. You should STILL only run on a non production device(don't put it on day to day devices) or at least don't submit app ratings that complain about your app not working with iOS 6 because no apps are ios 6 optimized yet.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

midol.jpg

maybe itll have some cool features he wants?

either way i know when i had the ios 5 beta i didnt have any issues with it being unstable. only apps that didnt work were netflix and a skype.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
I'm sure you will be able to downgrade. This was said with the 4/5 betas and both could downgrade. You should STILL only run on a non production device(don't put it on day to day devices) or at least don't submit app ratings that complain about your app not working with iOS 6 because no apps are ios 6 optimized yet.
Not the point... and even still I'm sure you'd have to put it in DFU mode beforehand to try and curb any of the errors that can go on. These are the types of things that the majority of iOS users aren't familiar with. While I'm not gonna make a huge stink about it like many have done in the past when it comes to beta releases of anything, this seems like a huge case being the first on the block to have something... even if it's not completely stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.