Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
This has been bugging me since I invested in a Sonos system a couple of years ago, and I'm sooo tired of it. Please give me some advice on what to do before I throw the TV, Apple TV and Sonos speakers out of the house…! 😩

Setup:
- ATV 4K connects with HDMI to an older Plasma LG with no ARC on the HDMI. I love this TV because it still gives a natural warm and nice picture, and it's expensive to buy something similar. Plasma FTW! :)
- ATV is connected to the network with ethernet.
- One of the Sonos is also connected with ethernt, and it has been really steady the last year.
- My WiFi is Netgar Orbi, recently updated to Orbi WiFi 6.

Problem:
I have set up Audio to play to my Sonos (ATV preferences > Video and Audio > Audio output).
Normally this works excellent. But sometimes it doesn't. And that "sometimes" is driving me crazy. Suddenly (not suddenly in as while watching something, but suddenly as in "I'm now playing through another app" or "Yesterday it worked, now it doesn't") there is no sound through the Sonos, but only the internal TV speakers. This means I have to change the output again, sometimes by holding down the ATV button, and sometimes by reselect it in preferences. This is of course something that can drive anyboyd nuts!

And recently I have noticed that it can differ from different apps. The GeoIP app don't play through the Sonos no matter what I do. Viaplay (Northern Europe provider) is the same. If I want to play audio through another output, let me decide that, how tf can the app developer decide that for me!!?

Basically; I want to play the sound from the Sonos speakers, *no matter what*. Do I have I to reinvest in a "real" stereo or what is up with this? Do I need a newer TV with HDMI ARC?

Is it Apples fault? Sonos? The TV? My WiFi network? Applications?

Please help me understand this, I am ready to invest in a brand new setup to get some peace in my life. Sorry for the cursing.

🙏

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What speakers and components, etc. (model and version) comprise your Sonos system? What is the exact model and version of your LG plasma television?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
If the TVs got no audio return channel then how are you getting audio to the Sonos?

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Thanks for the input!

What speakers and components, etc. (model and version) comprise your Sonos system? What is the exact model and version of your LG plasma television?
TV: LG 50PG6000

Sonos: Two Sonos One, paired as a stereo pair, together with the Sonos Sub (I'm not sure what generation, it's 3 year old).

If the TVs got no audio return channel then how are you getting audio to the Sonos?
The audio is coming from the Apple TV, as described in the original post.

Reactions: reiggin

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Airplay (at least for me) is a method of last resort. it can be a bit flakey at times.

There are 2 different ways of getting audio to homepods or other speakers, default audio out, and airplay.

default audio only works to a single or pair of homepod(s), no other options. So third party speakers (like Sonos) must use airplay. Any airplay from the aTV, including to homepods, will eventually stop on it's own, usually it will stick till you put the aTV to sleep, but not always.

Default audio lets you send "ATMOS" to the stereo (or mono) homepods, Airplay only sends stereo.

You an also access airplay out in the control center (look for the icon with circles, and a triangle at the bottom), so you don't have to go all the way to the menu to set it. You may also be able to set it with Siri, but not sure.

App developers are able to enable/disable airplay as they want with a simple entry when coding the app. YOu'll have to reach out to the app developers to have it added, but they probably won't, as some media licensing agreements prevent it.
But, just because it's enabled in an app doesn't mean Airplay will work well with that app. Airplay has a small delay built in for buffering, and the aTV has to delay the video so it will match the audio coming out of the speakers. So the app has to play the audio a bit before it plays the matching video, which is what some apps don't do well.

Airplay is dependent on a solid network, sometimes rebooting your router can help. A fast network does not always equal a solid network. Saying that because I've seen here "I can download at fast speeds, it's not my network." Airplay relies on network broadcast packets, which some routers don't play well with, one of the reasons a reboot can help. The orbis should be OK though.

If you've got a Sonos sound bar, I believe they all come with an optical to HDMI adapter (older models had an optical port), Your TV should have an optical out which will work much better than airplay. Some TVs will only send stereo on the optical port, but airplay is also only stereo, and the direct connect will be more stable, and you may be able to get 5.1 You'll need to get an optical cable, but you can get one for well under $20.

I'm surprised that your TV doesn't have ARC, I had a 2012 Panasonic plasma that had ARC, so it's been around on (at least higher end) TVs for some time. It's usually only on port 2, and should be labeled on the port itself (physically printed on the TV), Might need a flashlight and magnifier to see it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Old TV without ARC but you want to keep implies shopping for what is called an HDMI splitter (example) that will let you hardwire the connection so that VIDEO only flows to that TV and AUDIO is split off to Sonos speakers.

Alternatively, you can do this splitting even better with a dedicated Receiver, which will then give you many more inputs for pretty much ANY kind of audio-producing devices (well beyond an AppleTV).

If possible, WIRE (ethernet) your various Sonos speakers instead of leaning on wifi. If nothing else, this will free up wifi bandwidth.

Instead of having to lean on what could be some semi-buggy AppleTV software that you'll never be able to "fix" without help from Apple (and whenever they may or may not ever get around to making this work flawlessly every time), this bypasses that link entirely by exporting the audio in that HDMI cable, shifting audio distribution to Sonos' own software which is well refined for doing this kind of task well. No more odd disconnects this way.

And you might consider adding a soundbar like Arc and making those two Ones become your rear surround left & right by ceding left, center, right to the new soundbar. It should sound much better than what is basically stereo left & right (in those Ones) also having to create a faux center channel for television and movie dialogue (which is a key HP problem too). That kind of setup creates the general desire to try to put them closer together for a more effective faux center channel at the cost of stereo separation... while wanting to spread them out more for better stereo separation at the cost of faux center channel. Sonos Arc will resolve that by being a great center channel and pretty good left & right, and the Ones can give you surround channel sound that is actually behind you vs. being faked too.

AppleTV HDMI OUT to HDMI Splitter:
  • HDMI Splitter HDMI 1 OUT to TV
  • HDMI Splitter HDMI 2 OUT to Arc
  • Arc does the job of coordinating with Sub and two ones (now as surround channel speakers)
OR, if you go the Receiver route, consider moving those Ones and Sub to some other room(s) and enjoying them as mostly music-playing speakers... and attach a number of "dumb" speakers to the Receiver via speaker wire. You could start "small" with maybe a good left, center & right trio of speakers. Then, add in a good Sub, and eventually at least 2 rears (surround). Since these would all be direct connected by wire, there's no wireless bugs/failures to disconnect you.

AppleTV HDMI OUT to Receiver HDMI IN:
  • Receiver HDMI OUT to Existing TV
  • Receiver Speaker connections out to whatever number of "dumb" speakers you choose to connect... with the flexibility to add more later.
Receiver + at least about 5.1 Surround Sound speaker setup (that's 5 speakers- left, center, right, left surround, right surround and one Subwoofer) is the optimal way to enjoy any audio source on the main home theater and not burn a byte of Wifi bandwidth. Your ears will definitely notice true surround sound instead of a faux surround and faux center setup.

Sonos Arc + Sub + Surrounds (of which you already have 2/3rds of such a setup in existing speakers) is a good backup to that ideal. Just add Arc or refurb Arc.

Else, you could modernize the TV but if you are happy with the one you have now, that would be towards a waste to only get eArc out. So you can work through 1+ HDMI splitters to find the ideal one for you and it is- in effect- adding the HDMI port out that your TV doesn't have now... and HDMI out dongle if you will.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnincoco

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
I had the same problem with a kitchen TV connected to an Apple TV. I am presuming you are airplaying to the speakers? Used to work great most of the time to 2 pairs of Sonos Ones in a big kitchen/dining room.

Instead of messing about trying to get ARC out of the TV with a splitter etc. get a Sonos Ray or Beam cheaply, connect it with optical out from the TV and set up the Sonos speakers you have as surrounds or group them. I have a Sonos Ray with a pair of Ones as surrounds with music on full and I group the other pair of Ones to have full sound in a big room.

Reactions: Edd70 and carlsson

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
I see two legit solutions:
1. Buy two Homepods and install them as stereo pair, that should give ATV the option to have them as default.
2. Buy a Sonos Ray or Beam and connect with optical.

Sounds like option 2 would be the sturdiest solution. Agree?

Reactions: Fozziebear40

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I see another option you aren’t considering. Get a new TV. That model is 15 years old and you aren’t getting as good of a picture as you believe. A good miniLED LCD or a low end OLED would blow away anything your old TV can do and would have the appropriate connections for eARC (ARC is outdated). I don’t know how much you think you’d have to spend, but it’d be well under a grand and give you a MUCH improved experience.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, if you only see those 2 options, I'd go with #11: replace the TV... maybe move the ancient one to another room?

Else for #2, consider ARC- their superior soundbar vs. Beam or Ray. It is their BEST one and the one that sounds the best.

Else for #1, while twin HPs might slightly improve the "stay connected" issue (though there is plenty of threads/posts talking about random disconnects of those too- if you want to see MANY more just do a search for HomePods disconnect from AppleTV and start clicking), you'll be replacing a much more open set of those Sonos Ones with a much more walled garden, locked-down set of HPs.

If cost is dominating the decision making, buy any old soundbar and connect to that old TV with the optical OUT until you replace the TV and can go HDMI from source (AppleTV) through new TV to soundbar (all HDMI connections end to end). Enjoy the speakers you already have in other rooms where you may want some great-sounding audio.

The thing with that last one is you are only one purchase from a very good surround setup. Buy a Sonos soundbar to cover left, center, right speakers out front, use the Sub you already have for deep bass, shift the Ones to being surround sound speakers left & right and slightly behind your prime seating position. That's basically a pretty good 5.1 surround sound setup and should sound very good.

If you go #1, you are forever locked in on stereo at best because HPs have no surround, subwoofer or center channel options... nor are there any rumors Apple is even interested in going there.

Last edited:
Reactions: carlsson

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Good suggestions made above, and I’ll just describe my simple Sonos setup, while outdated now, is practically 100% reliable. I have a Playbase connected by optical to the TV. That speaker does all the work connecting two Sonos Ones (and a Roam, occasionally). My TV is connected by HDMI to an ATV 4K (2nd gen), which has an Ethernet connection to my router.

A natural upgrade to this setup would be replacing the Playbase with an Arc but no urgency for me. Having a primary Sonos speaker hardwired to the TV is definitely the preferred option, as simple setups go.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I see two legit solutions:
1. Buy two Homepods and install them as stereo pair, that should give ATV the option to have them as default.
2. Buy a Sonos Ray or Beam and connect with optical.

Sounds like option 2 would be the sturdiest solution. Agree?
Disagree with 2 being the sturdiest. Your described situation in the original post is one of the main reasons I sold all of my Sonos gear about a year ago (a Beam, and two IKEA branded One's). The Beam using HDMI/Optical adapter worked more often than the three of them together, but at the end of the day, operating all three at the same time wasn't bulletproof enough for me, let alone my wife and kiddos who just wanted to watch TV without hassle. The poor sound quality in my open living room was also a deciding factor.

The stereo Homepods I installed, on the other hand, have been nearly flawless in their operation, and, in my living room, they sound better than the Sonos ever did.

Without eARC in the TV, though, I don't think Homepods would be able to play TV- or alternative source sound. Just that of the AppleTV box.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Guys, thank you all for your input! Very appreciated. ❤️
Since the last post I have done the following:

- Bought a Sonos Beam, and returned it.
While the Optical out always produced sound to the ATV, just as I wanted, it also forced me to do a setup where I couldn't play the three speakers together without surround. I don't want that (at least not now), and maybe that could be fixed somehow, but even worse, I couldn't use the ATV remote to change the sound volume (ie, I had to use the TV remote). That was a dealbreaker so I returned it.

- Yesterday I bought an LG C3 OLED 65" TV. This is supposed to be one of the best in its class.
I looked at LED and QLED but that milky image is just not good enough.
And yes, the LG is of course very nice. It costed me 18990 SEK though ≈ 1900 USD… 🤑
HOWEVER… I still don't get sound out to the ATV -> Sonos always. I have tried to look at the sound out settings and HDMI eArc settings etc, but some apps (especially ViaPlay) still only use the internal TV Speakers.

It doesn't look like this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/102290
(I know that support page is specifically for the HomePods, but it should work with eARC, right? I am missing the "Audio return channel" thing)

I realize there must be something I have missed in the setup on the TV or Apple TV, and will look more into this soon. Now I have eARC and it will probably work after some troubleshooting.

One question though: Do I need a better HDMI cable than my old one to support eARC?

One more question: The LG C3 have Wireless output to speakers, is that a better option maybe? 🤔

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
wireless is never the better option. never, never.
Too many things that can go wrong or interfere, and it's hard to troubleshoot, cause the issue might be a completely random electronic device in the next room that's causing interference. Airplay relies on your network, which add a few new points of failure. If a cable from port A to port B doesn't work, then the problem is either the cable, or one of the ports. Even hardwired ethernet shouldn't be your first choice. a dedicated connection that's designed to carry audio will be the most reliable. Ethernet is not designed to carry audio, people have figured out ways to carry audio over ethernet.

You're still trying to airplay to Sonos speakers? (and not a sound bar connected via HDMI)
then upgrading the TV has had absolutely no benefit for your audio problems. You're in the same situation as you were with the old TV, since the TV isn't involved in the audio path at all when you're airplaying from the aTV to other speakers. if you're air playing, then arc, e-arc, or HDMI are never involved.

that earc page you're looking at does not apply to what you're doing. It allows you to send audio from your TV (and connected devices like a cable box) though your appleTV to homepods, and only homepods. You can not airplay this audio to another speaker.

- Bought a Sonos Beam, and returned it.
While the Optical out always produced sound to the ATV, just as I wanted, it also forced me to do a setup where I couldn't play the three speakers together without surround. I don't want that (at least not now), and maybe that could be fixed somehow, but even worse, I couldn't use the ATV remote to change the sound volume (ie, I had to use the TV remote). That was a dealbreaker so I returned it.
What three speakers are you trying to use

you could have configured the aTV remote to send IR to control the Sonos volume.

it looks like you blamed all of the the failings of that setup on the Sonos, when it was actually your TV causing problems.

---
What is your current setup:?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Just an anecdote ...

I have an Apple TV 4K, LG Smart TV 70", and Sonos Arc sound bar. The Apple TV is connected to the LG via HDMI. The Sonos Arc is connected to the LG via HDMI eARC. I can control the Sonos Arc using the Apple TV remote. The annoyance is the LG at times does not remember the last input source when turned on. Occasionally, we'll have manually select the input source for Apple TV. I won't say it doesn't happen, but rarely will I ever have to manually select ARC as the speaker output. Previously I had a Sonos Beam, same set up. Worked flawlessly except for the LG input source weirdness. The Beam is now relegated to the basement connected to a Samsung 55" TV via eARC w/ an Apple TV HD connected to the Samsung via HDMI. No problems w/ this set up either.

Last edited:

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
wireless is never the better option. never, never.
Too many things that can go wrong or interfere, and it's hard to troubleshoot, cause the issue might be a completely random electronic device in the next room that's causing interference. Airplay relies on your network, which add a few new points of failure. If a cable from port A to port B doesn't work, then the problem is either the cable, or one of the ports. Even hardwired ethernet shouldn't be your first choice. a dedicated connection that's designed to carry audio will be the most reliable. Ethernet is not designed to carry audio, people have figured out ways to carry audio over ethernet.

I agree, but also disagree. We have come a long way with wireless these days, and it *should* work. I realize that **** happens and sometimes you have to reset stuff. But that would be very intermittent.

My annoyance is with the Apple TV that don't have the option "Always play to these speakers" for wireless speakers. That option just doesn't exist – how hard would it be really?
I have the same problem with my iPad in the kitchen, every time I want to play music through that iPad, I need to manually switch to the kitchen Sonos speaker. Extreme PITA.

However, as it is at the moment, I don't have a choice as I see it – I have multiple Sonos and they don't have any way to connect via an audio cable.

You're still trying to airplay to Sonos speakers? (and not a sound bar connected via HDMI)
then upgrading the TV has had absolutely no benefit for your audio problems. You're in the same situation as you were with the old TV, since the TV isn't involved in the audio path at all when you're airplaying from the aTV to other speakers. if you're air playing, then arc, e-arc, or HDMI are never involved.

I was by the impression, based on earlier answers in this thread, that eARC was the solution to this problem.

What three speakers are you trying to use
I have a pair of Sonos One and a subwoofer. I had a Beam for one day, but that didn't solve any problems.

What I meant with three speakers, is that when I tested it I only got sound from the Beam (probably as the center/main speaker) when i played music.
As it is now I would have liked sound from all three (I don't remember the term for this, but I remember this was doable with my former Surround Sound setup from Yamaha and Denon 10+ years ago).

it looks like you blamed all of the the failings of that setup on the Sonos, when it was actually your TV causing problems.

If I blame something it would be the Apple TV that can't persist to always play to choosen AirPlay speakers.

What is your current setup:?

In the living room I have:
- 2 Sonos One, set up as a pair. Connected to the router with ethernet cable.
- 1 Sonos Sub, paired to the Sonos One pair.
- Apple TV 4K, connected to the router with ethernet cable. I have choosen the Sonos as sound output, but I can't set it as default, only temporary.
- LG C3, connected with HDMI to the Apple TV.

Since I got the TV earlier today it's been steady. However, it probably won't take many days until there is no sound and I have to manually enter one of the audio menus to choose the Sonos as speakers. It's irritating but managable when that happens to me, but when my wife or daughter get this bug, they don't know what to do.
And honestly, why doesn't it just work!?

Basically I still have no answer for the question: "How can I get my Apple TV to ALWAYS play audio through my Sonos speakers?"

Just an anecdote ...

I have an Apple TV 4K, LG Smart TV 70", and Sonos Arc sound bar. The Apple TV is connected to the LG via HDMI. The Sonos Arc is connected to the LG via HDMI eARC. I can control the Sonos Arc using the Apple TV remote. The annoyance is the LG at times does not remember the last input source when turned on. Occasionally, we'll have manually select the input source for Apple TV. I won't say it doesn't happen, but rarely will I ever have to manually select ARC as the speaker input. Previously I had a Sonos Beam, same set up. Worked flawlessly except for the LG input source weirdness. The Beam is now relegated to the basement connected to a Samsung 55" TV via eARC w/ an Apple TV HD connected to the Samsung via HDMI. No problems w/ this set up either.

It's those annoyances that bugs the h*ll out of me. Why do we as customers accept these flaws?

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Else for #2, consider ARC- their superior soundbar vs. Beam or Ray. It is their BEST one and the one that sounds the best.
Alright, I'll try the Sonos Arc eventually.

The problem is that there is a lot of work to that. I have to move my two Sonos One's, and if I do that, I want to replace the One's with Five's as front speakers...

Furthermore, after trying the Beam I got quite dissapointed that I couldn't set them up as "All speakers play together, not as surround but as a large stereo sound thing", if you understand what I mean?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I understand well. First, you don't need FIVES up front with Arc. Arc will basically be left + center + right speaker and sounds surprisingly good at those jobs. I'm a fairly anti-soundbar audio purist but I can't deny that Arc does a great job for anyone wanting a soundbar setup over the traditional 5 or more independent speakers + sub setups.

I am not nearly as impressed with Beam, so I wouldn't let that color my pre-purchase opinion of Arc. Arc is standout, often rated or competing for BEST soundbar while Beam is somewhere down such rankings. Some speaker retailer around you should have an Arc demo setup, so go listen to some of your own stuff on it and hear for yourself.

As to all speakers playing together, they will do that just fine. I just set a friend up with Arc + Sub + twin 300s and they listen to stereo music sources like crazy (many hours every day). Your setup of Arc + Sub (you already have) + twin 100s (you already have) would be quite great too. If you just want to spend more money than only Arc, consider twin 300s and move your 100s to other rooms for some HomePod-like audio in those rooms. You can even "whole home" play with that kind of setup where you can have music playing in sync on all of them together.

If me, I'd simply add Arc and use the rest of what I already own and pass fresh, first-hand judgement. I'm VERY confident your front faux left + center + right (all in Arc) and the Sub will delight. Those 100s won't quite sound as great as twin 300s but they might sound good enough as surround sound speakers (that is the least demanding audio job in a surround sound setup). If so, one purchase and you are THERE!!!

As to the work, if Arc takes over up front, you only have to move the two 100s. Hopefully that's not too much trouble. If on stands, carry them to their new location, plug in, done. If on the wall, you can probably pull the wall mounts, plaster in the holes, touchup with a little paint to make it look like they were never there, and then use the same mounts in the surround sound locations for each. That could be a bit of work ONCE and then you can enjoy a great surround sound system for many years to come.

If you do this, reply back and let us know how it all sounds. I already know it should be quite great. My friend loves almost the very same setup: movies, TV and music playback.

I personally opted for an Arc for music-only playback purposes in my main bedroom (basically using it much like people use HomePods). It does a fantastic job, sounding much better than I expected. I regularly throw (airplay) from my music collection to it and can command Siri on any Apple device to do something like "Play Classic Rock Playlist in Main Bedroom" and it "just works." If I want whole house, I play whole house and the music is synched to speakers throughout my home. It also "just works."

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
agree, but also disagree. We have come a long way with wireless these days, and it *should* work. I realize that **** happens and sometimes you have to reset stuff. But that would be very intermittent.
Should... and I agree it should, but as you've seen, "should" and "do" don't necessarily line up.

I was by the impression, based on earlier answers in this thread, that eARC was the solution to this problem.
You're not using eARC, your TV just has it available. You're not using eARC unless you have an a/v receiver (or Sonos soundbar) connected to the arc port, or you have homepods connected to an aTV connected to an ARC port.

ARC stands for audio return channel it allows audio to run "backwards" on an HDMI cable. The e is for enhanced, it just has more bandwidth, for the newer HD audio formats and ATMOS.

It's typically only on one port on the TV, and that port would be connected to your sound system.

Traditionally, you would hook your a/v receiver to that port, Then if you hooked your cable box to the TV, or used an app built into the TV, The audio for that would go out of the input on your TV, down the cable, and into the output of your receiver. This would also allow you to plug other audio/video sources directly into the receiver, and it would send the video out of the output on the receiver into that input on your TV.

when you have HomePods paired to your aTV, the aTV basically becomes a sound output, So using ARC will allow you to send audio from devices (like a cable box or disc player) connected to other ports on your TV

I have the same problem with my iPad in the kitchen, every time I want to play music through that iPad, I need to manually switch to the kitchen Sonos speaker. Extreme PITA.
Then use the Sonos app, airplay is a bit of a workaround. Sonos is built with using their app in mind.

What I meant with three speakers, is that when I tested it I only got sound from the Beam (probably as the center/main speaker) when i played music.

there are 2 ways to do this
- you can pair the ones as surrounds with the beam, so they would be the left and right rear channels. When you do this, they become a part of beam. (similar to how your stereo pair of ones and the sub only appear as a single device) They do not have their own volume controls, there is a relative volume in the settings, but you typically only control the front speaker, which will also adjust the rears. There are also options for playing music, either ambient or full, ambient will give you simulated surround, full puts the full front left and right channels into the rear left/right speakers. I'm not sure if airplay will trigger this simulated surround or not. You should use the Sonos app, airplay is a bit of a workaround. Sonos is built with using their app in mind.

- you can leave the ones as their own pair, and group them (using the square with small triangle icon in the Sonos app). then the beam and the ones both function as front left and right channels, with separate volume controls in the Sonos app. in theory, you could also airplay to both the beam and the ones at the same time.

Alright, I'll try the Sonos Arc eventually.

The problem is that there is a lot of work to that. I have to move my two Sonos One's, and if I do that, I want to replace the One's with Five's as front speakers...
you seem to have a basic misunderstanding of how Sonos works.

Sonos only allows certain pairings (like what you've done with with the ones and sub, Sonos calls this a room).
Once things are paired into rooms, as far as Sonos is concerned they are basically one device.
Once you've made rooms, you can group multiple rooms using the Sonos app so they play the same music together.
These rooms are designed to be just that, in different physical spaces in your house.

Allowed for a Sonos room
  • a single speaker (plays in mono)
  • a pair of matching speakers (becomes front left and right)
  • a sound bar (will handle all of the front channels -- left, right, and center)
    • to a sound bar, you can add a pair of matching speakers for surrounds
      • You can use a port or amp to bring your own speakers for surrounds.
  • A Port or Amp (will let you bring your own stereo speakers) (when hooked to TV, you loose the dedicated center channel)
    • You can add another Port, Amp, or pair of speakers to use as surrounds.
  • To any of these, you can add a sub, sub mini, or pair of full size subs.
** The newer Era speakers count as a single speaker, but they have stereo channels, so you get stereo with a single, or pair.

That's it,
You can't have an Arc and add fives as fronts, The Arc will function as all three front speakers.
You could group a pair of fives with an arc, But the arc will still put out left, right, and center. and the fives would be left and right. The Arc and fives would have separate volume controls.

When I tested it I only got sound from the Beam (probably as the center/main speaker) when i played music.
see previous comment.

I got quite dissapointed that I couldn't set them up as "All speakers play together, not as surround but as a large stereo sound thing", if you understand what I mean?
If you have everything set up properly, then any audio playing through the beam can also be played though any other room in your system. Just needs to be grouped in the Sonos app.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Once more, thanks again for all input! 👍🙏

The thing is, our living room with the TV area isn't directly suited for a home cinema experience. Look at the picture (ignore my tech corner to the right 😝) – Would it still be advisable to buy a Sonos Arc? The width under the TV is 130 cm wide (≈ 51 inches), while the Arc is 114 cm. Is it too narrow to give a nice sound experience?
I am ready to do that investment, but I'd like to know if its advisable.

Attachments

• IMG_7342.jpeg
    IMG_7342.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 43

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I admire your commitment to plasma (I was also a huge plasma fan), but a 4K OLED TV (like an LG) will blow your set away both in terms of true black and natural colours.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Once more, thanks again for all input! 👍🙏

The thing is, our living room with the TV area isn't directly suited for a home cinema experience. Look at the picture (ignore my tech corner to the right 😝) – Would it still be advisable to buy a Sonos Arc? The width under the TV is 130 cm wide (≈ 51 inches), while the Arc is 114 cm. Is it too narrow to give a nice sound experience?
I am ready to do that investment, but I'd like to know if its advisable.
Would you be mounting it under the TV? Or would it be sitting on the corner tech shelf ;-)

Assuming mounted, since you bring up the measurements... my guess is you'd lose a little bit through the doorway on the left of the TV unless the door is closed. If it's open, audibly, you might notice a stronger sound presence coming from the right side, since that side has walls to bounce the sound off of. It probably won't be too terribly unbalanced, especially if you're seated on the left side of the couch/TV, but likely so for the person in the blue chair on the right. But then again, the Arc may be different than the Beam in that regard. See below.

Our room was much more open on the left (no wall to the kitchen) than on the right (the wall/doorway of our bedroom), which gave the Sonos Beam we had nothing to bounce off of at the left. The sound was completely unbalanced and really made an awful experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.