Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sowpia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2020
Since the latest Tumblr update in July, I have no longer been able to view my Tumblr dashboard. Basically it only loads for a few seconds and then the screen goes blank. Apparently that's because the version of Firefox I'm using is no longer supported, but in order to update it I'd have to upgrade Snow Leopard to a later version (El Captain at least). I've tried using SeaMonkey 2.40 and ArcticFox since I heard they're still compatible with Snow Leopard, but I had the exact same issue with both.

Is there any way I can keep using Tumblr without upgrading? I'm perfectly happy with Snow Leopard and I don't really want to change it.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Hi @sowpia, welcome to the forums. There's a few things you could try.

The same guy who came up with Arctic Fox, @wicknix, also is responsible for the SpiderWeb and InterWeb browsers. As I understand it, they're both based on a bit newer code than Arctic Fox, and you can download either/both of them here. I've personally found InterWeb gets me into a lot of sites Arctic Fox can't handle.

Another thing you might try, in any of the above browsers, is the uMatrix browser extension. The version you need can be found here. Scroll down to the one that says "umatrix.firefox.xpi", that's the download you need. It will work with any of the above browsers, and blocks all sorts of nasty things like javascript that modern websites like to throw at you. If you'll experiment with it a bit, enabling certain things by clicking them to green, then reloading the page after each time, you may hit upon a combination that allows you to access the content you need. I had the same experience as you, with a banking website that would appear briefly then load to a blank page in FireFox; and doing what I just described allowed me to use the website without loading whatever it was that kept interfering with FireFox rendering the page.

Finally, I'd suggest you visit the PowerPC forum. Believe it or not, there's much more useful content there for Snow Leopard and early Intel Mac users than there is here. This forum is usually quite dead. The PowerPC forum is very active, and filled with people who use Intel Macs, use and love Snow Leopard, and don't mind answering your questions.

Good luck!

sowpia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2020
Hi @sowpia, welcome to the forums. There's a few things you could try.

The same guy who came up with Arctic Fox, @wicknix, also is responsible for the SpiderWeb and InterWeb browsers. As I understand it, they're both based on a bit newer code than Arctic Fox, and you can download either/both of them here. I've personally found InterWeb gets me into a lot of sites Arctic Fox can't handle.

Another thing you might try, in any of the above browsers, is the uMatrix browser extension. The version you need can be found here. Scroll down to the one that says "umatrix.firefox.xpi", that's the download you need. It will work with any of the above browsers, and blocks all sorts of nasty things like javascript that modern websites like to throw at you. If you'll experiment with it a bit, enabling certain things by clicking them to green, then reloading the page after each time, you may hit upon a combination that allows you to access the content you need. I had the same experience as you, with a banking website that would appear briefly then load to a blank page in FireFox; and doing what I just described allowed me to use the website without loading whatever it was that kept interfering with FireFox rendering the page.

Finally, I'd suggest you visit the PowerPC forum. Believe it or not, there's much more useful content there for Snow Leopard and early Intel Mac users than there is here. This forum is usually quite dead. The PowerPC forum is very active, and filled with people who use Intel Macs, use and love Snow Leopard, and don't mind answering your questions.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for such a helpful reply!

Reactions: Raging Dufus

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
but in order to update it I'd have to upgrade Snow Leopard to a later version

Just fyi, you can use Firefox 78 ESR on Mavericks, it's still fully supported and works with everything, so you wouldn't need to go all the way to El Capitan.

Mind, looks like you should be fine on Snow Leopard with Interweb!

sowpia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2020
Just fyi, you can use Firefox 78 ESR on Mavericks, it's still fully supported and works with everything, so you wouldn't need to go all the way to El Capitan.

Mind, looks like you should be fine on Snow Leopard with Interweb!

Thank you for the information! I'll keep this in mind if I ever have issues with my old Firefox browser again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.