Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone seen some information yet how AirTags actually work? Specifically when and in what interval they ping their presence?

Think one reviewer mentioned that it initially took a bit of time before a 'lost' AirTag actually popped up in Find My. Somewhere around half a minute... This could indicate that the tags have a rather long ping interval and only ping more frequently when being actively searched. From a power saving perspective, that would totally make sense.

Implies however that any real-time tracking or, more interesting, geo-fencing wouldn't really work.

For example, with a range of about 32ft/10m, it would still be interesting to instantaneous get an alarm when my keys, wallet, bag or even my dog is outside of a certain short range. With a ping interval of 30sec, the practical usage would be far less interesting as a thief would already be far and away. And my dog, if it smells a squirrel, even further.

Look forward seeing the first technical reviews on the AirTags, including iFixIt taking one apart!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
it initially took a bit of time before a 'lost' AirTag actually popped up in Find My. Somewhere around half a minute...
I believe that 30 seconds period is for Precision Finding to lock to AirTag, not the usual ping. I saw iJustine beep AirTag instantly the moment she wanted. It's just it took around half a minute she could get somewhat precise location from it.

Reactions: diddl14
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.