Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have a Lacie 6Big Thunderbolt RAID drive. Ever since I updated to Ventura, the following message appears whenever I launch Lacie RAID Manager:

LaCie RAID Manager requires permission to manage compatible LaCie storage devices. Please go to Privacy & Security Preferences to allow LaCie RAID Manager access removable volumes.

When I go to System Preferences-->Privacy and Security, the only setting that Lacie RAID Manager seems to have requested access for is "Full Disk Access." Should I grant LACIE full access to all my drives? I don't recall ever having to do that before. Furthermore, when I turn this access on, I STILL get that annoying error message. This leads me to believe there is another setting somewhere that I need to enable but can't find. It doesn't help that the screenshot they provide looks nothing like anything I see on my screen...

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 3.46.28 PM.png

Thanks!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I had to download a seagate (seagate ex ssd) patcher for my MacBook Air m1, Ventura
then that told my MacBook to allow access
I think I still need to OK the external drive when I plug that in.

maybe LaCie has the same tool?

there is a security privacy feature in System settings or Preferences that allows external drives.

I hoped this info helped!

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I can access the drive and read/write files. I just get this complaint notice every time I launch LACIE RAID Manager.

fikonhjul

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
Sweden
I get this notice too. It seems to relate to a security setting that doesn't exist. You can give Full Disk Access, in which case you need to look for LaCieRAIDManager_X.X.X in the list. It doesn't stop the dialogue box from nagging you, though. Sloppy development and/or documentation, I would say.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I get this notice too. It seems to relate to a security setting that doesn't exist. You can give Full Disk Access, in which case you need to look for LaCieRAIDManager_X.X.X in the list. It doesn't stop the dialogue box from nagging you, though. Sloppy development and/or documentation, I would say.
Is there a reason it needs full disk access? There used to be a setting just for "removable volumes" but I don't see that anymore with Ventura.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Apple:
"The user implicitly grants your app access to a file on a removable volume—like a USB thumb drive—when selecting the file in an Open or Save panel, dragging it onto your app, or opening it in Finder. Your app can access that file right away and any time in the future. In addition, if your app creates a new file on a removable volume, the app can access that file without user consent.
The first time your app tries to access a file on a removable volume without implied user consent, the system prompts the user for permission to access removable volumes. "
https://developer.apple.com/documen...perty_list/nsremovablevolumesusagedescription

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Apple:
"The user implicitly grants your app access to a file on a removable volume—like a USB thumb drive—when selecting the file in an Open or Save panel, dragging it onto your app, or opening it in Finder. Your app can access that file right away and any time in the future. In addition, if your app creates a new file on a removable volume, the app can access that file without user consent.
The first time your app tries to access a file on a removable volume without implied user consent, the system prompts the user for permission to access removable volumes. "
https://developer.apple.com/documen...perty_list/nsremovablevolumesusagedescription
So, I'm still confused. Do I need to give it full disk access?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
So, I'm still confused. Do I need to give it full disk access?
For normal app access to files on removable volumes, no.
But Lacie’s app doesn’t just access files. It manages the RAID setup, firmware updates etc, so its request for Full Disk Access is legitimate.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
For normal app access to files on removable volumes, no.
But Lacie’s app doesn’t just access files. It manages the RAID setup, firmware updates etc, so its request for Full Disk Access is legitimate.
But why would it need FULL disk access (which includes my internal hard drive and all files) instead of just access to the removable RAID volume it manages?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
An app developer could explain this better.
Here is my take: Apple bundled permissions for files with those for operations. The app doesn’t ask for Full Disk Access in order to access all files, but to perform operations.
The best example is enabling the Debug Menu in Safari. You have to give Terminal Full Disk Access in order to perform that operation (defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu -bool YES).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is there a reason it needs full disk access? There used to be a setting just for "removable volumes" but I don't see that anymore with Ventura.
The Removable Volumes option is under the "Files and Folders" section of the Privacy and Security settings but you can't manually add apps to there.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The Removable Volumes option is under the "Files and Folders" section of the Privacy and Security settings but you can't manually add apps to there.
... and RAID Manager doesn't request permission for that, so there's no way for me to add it.

Mortar Mike

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2023
I'm having the same issue, and because I don't have an extra option to "Access Removable Volumes," I haven't been able to change my Raid 1 setup to Raid 0 so I can have faster editing options. It's a pain that this is so clumsily set up. I cleared the data on it and everything to make it happen, and poof, nothing happens when I try to "modify" my Raid setup in the LaCie app. Just updated to Ventura to see if that would make a difference, but the "Access Removable Volumes" doesn't show up as an option to check in Mac settings for some reason... wonder why, it's a bit frustrating.

jcarbuccia

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2018
I just upgraded to Ventura last night and started receiving the same error message. I verified that my 5Big (24TB) would work with Ventura and per Lacie, it does as long as I'm running software >2.9.4xxx.

Any fixes for this yet?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
LaCie RAID Manager requires permission to manage compatible LaCie storage devices. Please go to Privacy & Security Preferences to allow LaCie RAID Manager access removable volumes.

I'm on Sonoma 14.1 now and am still getting the same popup message. So, it's been about 11 months now..

The problem as you described looks to be in the LaCie software. If so they are the ones who have to fix it. It's not going to get fixed unless you contact them.

Last edited:

thisisnotsound

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
Hi!

I had the same issue for a time. I have granted full disk access, and ignored the messages.
And I just found out that my 6big is corrupted, some data is lost. LaCie RAID manager still says everything is OK.
Also the RAID volume became "not initialized" at some point, probably it is related to this issue. I contacted Seagate customer service (LaCie had been bought last summer), they couldn't tell me anything, the background team has to be involved. Like this is a novel issue.

I tried to set up LaCie RAID Manager on my Macbook, the same issue, so I am quite confident that this not an isolated incident.

Last edited:

thisisnotsound

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
You can only use the chat at https://www.seagate.com/support/ . I asked for a live agent and explained the situation. They want me to send back the device, but I strongly suspect that a brand new one would have the same problem. I tried to install the LaCie sofware on another Mac, same issue.
I was just talking to the Seagate support, they are aware of the situation with the RAID software permissions. They blame Apple. They said that they are also working on the Marvel Semiconductor driver issue (Apple has deprecated "kext" (kernel extension) type drivers. Using this requires using the "reduced security" boot mode in MacOS, and as it is deprecated runs the risk that any any time this drive could simply stop working on MacOS.)

Last edited:

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Wow, what an unacceptable response. This is not a small company and I paid a few grand for my Lacie 6-big.

thisisnotsound

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
Today the replacement device arrived. The issue is the same. Now Lacie/Seagate is telling me to ask Apple.
"It is possible that your computer has specific settings that must be modified in order to approve for LaCie RAID Manager to properly run.
In this case, it is recommended to contact Apple Support to review these settings so that external software that manages RAID units can be properly set."

thisisnotsound

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
Today Apple's senior expert advised me to reinstall Sonoma, did it, did not helped. It was a soft reinstall, user files and settings remained intact, so the issue must be in there somewhere. I already know the next idea will be to format the drive and install from scratch. Which will be a huge PITA.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.