Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Roll over their username and click on the Start Conversation button.

Vivaldi.png

OLDTMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2020
I went to a user I know, but all it allowed me to do is post message on his profile page. Did I miss something? There’s no button for " start conversation"

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I went to a user I know, but all it allowed me to do is post message on his profile page. Did I miss something? There’s no button for " start conversation"
Probably because that user has their Privacy > Start Conversations setting set to Nobody.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
As I recall, the forum software requires a minimum number of posts before it will allow a member to start a Conversation. I don't recall what the exact number is, but it's something like 5 or 10.

Since @OLDTMR is a new user with only 2 posts (both in this thread), that's not enough to meet the threshold.

P.S. I moved this thread to a more suitable forum.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As I recall, the forum software requires a minimum number of posts before it will allow a member to start a Conversation. I don't recall what the exact number is, but it's something like 5 or 10.

Since @OLDTMR is a new user with only 2 posts (both in this thread), that's not enough to meet the threshold.

P.S. I moved this thread to a more suitable forum.

It used to be that a user had to have five posts before they could send a DM, or PM to another member of the forum.

Since the platform change, I am not sure whether this requirement remains the same.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The member you wish to PM also needs to have Settings > Privacy > Start conversations with you > set to Members Only or People you follow. You won't be able to PM a member if you're not in one of those groups; Members of course is the broadest level. Turning it "off" means having it set to Nobody.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Roemac

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2022
Sydney, Australia
The member you wish to PM also needs to have Settings > Privacy > Start conversations with you > set to Members Only or People you follow. You won't be able to PM a member if you're not in one of those groups; Members of course is the broadest level. Turning it "off" means having it set to Nobody.
Copy. Thanks for that extra explanation.

joseph.l.jackson

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2022
Very helpful thread! I think it would make a lot more sense to display the "Start Conversation" button even if the user hasn't met the minimum number of posts, but have it show a message that explains what's going on.

Jowee

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2023
Very helpful! I have not been part of a forum in a while but glad I still know how to use the handy search function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.