Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisInMiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I have a mac book pro with a 111.8GB internal HD (only internal hard drive).

current state:
3 partitions (all very close to the same size) named: "HDD_tiger", "shared" and "other". As the name implies HDD_tiger has 10.4.11 on it.

goal state:
I want to join the "shared" and "other" partitions without affecting "HDD_tiger".

Other data that might be needed:

I don't care what the other name of the partition is but I plan to move my iTunes files from an external HD to this new > 70GB partition. I have 66GB in my iTunes folder (hence the reason it's on an external HD).

Date of Manufacture: less than 8 months after Apple went to Intel processors
Processors: 2.16 GHz dual core
RAM: (maxed) 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
Start up disc: HDD_tiger

Thanks in advance for all the help

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but under OS X 10.4.x Tiger you can't change the partition(s) or sizes without formatting the hard drive. Formatting erases all information on the hard drive.

chrisInMiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but under OS X 10.4.x Tiger you can't change the partition(s) or sizes without formatting the hard drive. Formatting erases all information on the hard drive.

No 3rd party apps? No booting from a snow leopard DVD and joining the partitions? Any way at all barring installing/reinstalling a new OS?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
No 3rd party apps? No booting from a snow leopard DVD and joining the partitions? Any way at all barring installing/reinstalling a new OS?

Sorry, I don't know the answers to any of those questions, maybe someone else does.

chrisInMiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Sorry, I don't know the answers to any of those questions, maybe someone else does.

Thanks,
I don't want to reinstall all the programs I have on HDD_tiger. I guess I'll need to catalog them and decide what I'll likely need (and make sure I have archive versions for all of them.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If you have access to an external HDD with enough free storage capacity, you can clone the system onto the external HDD, boot from the external HDD, erase the partitions via Disk Utility and clone the HDD back.
Look into CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper to do such things.

chrisInMiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
If you have access to an external HDD with enough free storage capacity, you can clone the system onto the external HDD, boot from the external HDD, erase the partitions via Disk Utility and clone the HDD back.
Look into CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper to do such things.

thanks, making the CCC back up presently. I'm glad there's a time capsule alternative for 10.4 (I've never 10.6, several apps I use don't work or don't work well in 10.6)... I'm definitely booting from the copy before I even think about reformatting the internal HDD, but it's progresssing well. 5~6% in 5 minutes (over a USB connection).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.