Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
When I press the side button and the volume up button at the same time I am met with the screen that says “slide to power off”. Then under that text it lets me know that: “iPhone Findable After Power Off”. If the phone is still findable then it’s not really turned off. I think Apple could benefit from having a dictionary that teaches them what “off” really means.

So, How do I actually turn off my iPhone 13?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You can tap the "iPhone Findable After Power Off" text to temporarily turn off finding and turn the phone completely off. If you turn off Find My as eyoungren mentioned, you run the risk of losing your phone (unless you turn it back on each time). It also removes the activation lock, meaning someone else can wipe the phone and use it themselves or sell it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You can tap the "iPhone Findable After Power Off" text to temporarily turn off finding and turn the phone completely off. If you turn off Find My as eyoungren mentioned, you run the risk of losing your phone (unless you turn it back on each time). It also removes the activation lock, meaning someone else can wipe the phone and use it themselves or sell it.
Thanks for that. I knew turning it off would incur the risk you mentioned, but I did NOT know that you could turn if off temporarily in the manner you describe. Learned something, thanks!

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
When I press the side button and the volume up button at the same time I am met with the screen that says “slide to power off”. Then under that text it lets me know that: “iPhone Findable After Power Off”. If the phone is still findable then it’s not really turned off. I think Apple could benefit from having a dictionary that teaches them what “off” really means.

So, How do I actually turn off my iPhone 13?
I use a faraday bag. Power off and put the phone in the bag.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Thank you, I didn’t even know tapping that text would do anything. I’m not really interested in disabling activation lock, though I know the risks that involves, I’m more interested in learning how to turn the phone completely off in case it is ever needed to overcome an issue.

I have been using iPhones since the iPhone 4s was released and I’m still learning new things about iPhones.

Rusonjitsu

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
I never knew this either - you learn something new everyday!! 👍🏼 (and I’ve had an iPhone since the 3GS!)

Beck Show

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2016
U.S.A.
As mentioned, you can tap "iPhone Findable After Power Off" or you can toggle off “Find My network” within the Find My settings if you don’t want your phone to be able to be located when the power is off but still want to preserve activation lock.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I have a simpler solution on my iPhone 13 mini. If you active Airplane Mode before turning the phone off, the message and the "Find My" feature is automatically disabled. This provides you all the benefits of Find My combined with the Full Off possibility when needed.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
I have a simpler solution on my iPhone 13 mini. If you active Airplane Mode before turning the phone off, the message and the "Find My" feature is automatically disabled. This provides you all the benefits of Find My combined with the Full Off possibility when needed.
Thank you for the tip.

However, I don’t think this should be allowed. Imagine if someone stole an iPhone, swiped down to open the control center, tapped the airplane icon to put the phone in airplane mode, as you suggested, and then turns off the phone so it can’t be located. I’m hoping that Apple thought about this when they implement the new Stolen Device Protection features that will come soon.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Thank you for the tip.

However, I don’t think this should be allowed. Imagine if someone stole an iPhone, swiped down to open the control center, tapped the airplane icon to put the phone in airplane mode, as you suggested, and then turns off the phone so it can’t be located. I’m hoping that Apple thought about this when they implement the new Stolen Device Protection features that will come soon.
iPhones are PW and/or biometrically protected against that scenario.

Reactions: Iwavvns
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.