Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skveezer

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
So how do I block an email sent to me by me? Apparently someone hacked a bunch of emails and has been hammering me using my own email address. Conundrum: If I block the sent email that was sent using my email, I would then be blocking myself? Was thinking about abandoning the email at some point but... not viable at this time

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
So how do I block an email sent to me by me? Apparently someone hacked a bunch of emails and has been hammering me using my own email address. Conundrum: If I block the sent email that was sent using my email, I would then be blocking myself? Was thinking about abandoning the email at some point but... not viable at this time
There are a few things to do at the server level to remedy that. If it is a custom domain that you own, you can add DMARC and SPF DNS records to reject most mail spoofed to be sent by you.

If it is not your domain, and is from a service like gmail, you can probably block the mail from their web interface adding a rule.

In iOS settings you can also add your mail address to block yourself. I don’t think this should have any adverse effects unless you send mail, iMessages etc to yourself, but obviously it is the last resort.

skveezer

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
There are a few things to do at the server level to remedy that. If it is a custom domain that you own, you can add DMARC and SPF DNS records to reject most mail spoofed to be sent by you.

If it is not your domain, and is from a service like gmail, you can probably block the mail from their web interface adding a rule.

In iOS settings you can also add your mail address to block yourself. I don’t think this should have any adverse effects unless you send mail, iMessages etc to yourself, but obviously it is the last resort.
Hmmm... So I can add my comcast email to block myself (ie FROM) and still use that account for my general email addy? Gonna figure that one out - and THANKS for your info and time to reply here.

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Hmmm... So I can add my comcast email to block myself (ie FROM) and still use that account for my general email addy? Gonna figure that one out - and THANKS for your info and time to reply here.
You’re welcome. Hope it helps.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I'm a fan of the "filter unknown senders" feature, as it allows me to prevent automated messages for 2FA and other low-level alerts from known mailing lists from cluttering my main inbox. But it does nothing in terms of filtering out spam. It would be great to have a preview feature for every message sent to this inbox that allows for automatic blocking and spam reporting.

Reactions: Madhatter32

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I spent some time trying to see if opening a text message makes one more vulnerable to a hack, but have come up empty. Do you have a link that discusses this?
Most anyone can send messages to any device they wish ( I used to send texts/emails to daughter from SantaClaus ).

Below is a link to a published hack:

There are many others. If you were targeted, there is nothing you can do about it besides picking up a new phone, number and creating a new AppleID. The best bet is to not worry too much about it. Immediately delete unknown texts( without opening them ), do not answer unknown calls.

More tool info:

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Most anyone can send messages to any device they wish ( I used to send texts/emails to daughter from SantaClaus ).

Below is a link to a published hack:

There are many others. If you were targeted, there is nothing you can do about it besides picking up a new phone, number and creating a new AppleID. The best bet is to not worry too much about it. Immediately delete unknown texts( without opening them ), do not answer unknown calls.

More tool info:

Yes. It's really terrible how some people are targeted. But in saying that, the chances of almost anybody on this site being targeted by select people is 0.0001%. Most of us simply aren't important enough.

I think most users on here are far more likely to fall for email phishing scams or clicking links they shouldn't in unsolicited iMessages or emails. And also giving away far too much information on Social Media.

Totally agree about immediate deletion. Don't let curiosity get the better of you. If somebody really wants to get hold of you, they will.

Reactions: 960design

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
OK, looks like AT&T has gone bonkers. Without sending them anything to report spam, I've started getting messages from them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.28.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.28.53 PM.png
    148 KB · Views: 90

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
I have just finished work on a free app called Junkman which uses machine learning to differentiate between normal, transaction and junk sms messages. It works on device locally, does not collect any information, does not need to send any information to a server to classify a message and can detect English and Turkish language messages.

It is currently in open beta. If you get English or Turkish sms junk and would like to help improve its filter, you are welcome to test it. The app also has reporting extension capability, so you can report any normal, junk or transaction message directly from the Messages app as soon as you enable the extension. Especially the English filter may still need messages from different countries like United States, India or South Africa.

Also you can use the app without its smart filter. It includes simple to use sender lists to add any sender to normal, transaction, promotion or junk lists in Messages app.

You can join the open beta from https://testflight.apple.com/join/S4PUuKbL
Junkman is now available on the App Store in United States and Turkey, completely free. I think it will be able to help with English and Turkish language sms spam to those who need it. You can download it from https://junkman.app/

Reactions: ghanwani and max2

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
How does it work on phones without the neural engine?
I haven't tested it on earlier devices but it will work on all iOS 15 supported devices, albeit a little slower as neural engine is designed to speed up CoreML. You will not feel the difference though as the filtering should be completed in around half a second tops.

Reactions: ghanwani and max2

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Looks cool thanks.

This has been my biggest problem right now.
Thanks. I hope it will help. :)

You can report any message it classifies wrongly and I'll add them to future versions to train the smart filter.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I haven't tested it on earlier devices but it will work on all iOS 15 supported devices, albeit a little slower as neural engine is designed to speed up CoreML. You will not feel the difference though as the filtering should be completed in around half a second tops.
Ah OK. I'm still on iOS 14. Just bought an SE 2020 but have not set it up yet.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
AT&T's spam tool is broken today. I sent in a couple of spam messages and both times it took several minutes before I got an ack asking for the number. When I sent the number, there was no ack. Usually after sending the number there's another ack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.