Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjuroo

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2023
My friend and I designed 3D printable casing for the filter:

Mac_Studio_Filter_1.jpg
Mac_Studio_Filter_2.jpg
Mac_Studio_Filter_3.jpg
Mac_Studio_Filter_4.jpg
Mac_Studio_Filter_6.jpg

We used Mitsubishi Mirage cabin filter since it perfectly fits dimensions of Mac Studio.
I'm using this filter for two months now and I didn't see any temperature rising nor heard the vents. Everything works as it should.

Unfortunately, because of advertizing policy on this forum, I can't leave link to the 3D print model.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Every so often, I disconnect my Mac Studio, take it out into the garden and squirt compressed air through it. There's been very little dust come out at all.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I use a room HEPA filter in my home office which helps to keep the air clean. The main purpose is seasonal allergies but it does a good job on keeping down overall dust levels too.

Reactions: Lioness~

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Gjuroo --

That's a VERY nice design in reply 16 above.
That could become a commercially-available product.

Hmmm...
Have you given any consideration to obtaining a patent on your design?
(before others steal it...?)

Reactions: majus and Shazaam!

maher_souhabi

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2021
This one seems to be a good product to keep the dust away

Reactions: Sharky II

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
Mac Studio vs. Dust

Apple Macs are electronic devices that generate heat when they operate. To prevent internal components from overheating, the overall design needs to provide sufficient airflow to carry away excess heat that can cause failure or throttling the speed of the CPU. Steve Jobs insisted that early Macs be designed without cooling fans, but as Macs evolved, there was just no way to avoid using them.

Any operating environment (outside of clean rooms) contains airborne dust particles that are drawn into the computer through the inlet screen. The inlet screen functions to prevent particles larger than the individual screen openings from entering, but smaller dust particles obviously can pass through to the interior. The air inlet area has to be large enough as to not restrict airflow, so there’s a practical limit to how small the inlet screen holes can be.

Pasted Graphic.png

Over time, this dust builds up on the cooling fan and internal components. Dust accumulating on the fan reduces airflow volumetric efficiency and if deposited unevenly, throws the fan out of balance. This causes the computer’s internal temperature to rise and generates fan wobble noise.

Some computer operations maximize demands on the CPU and GPU causing an extreme rise in component temperatures. When this is detected, the component temperature sensors signal the fans to increase speed to generate more cooling. Dust accumulated on components reduces the heat transfer rate to the cooling air. Dust on the fans reduce the maximum cooling air delivery.

Some Macs are designed to have easy access to their internals, so periodically cleaning out dust using both vacuum and compressed air is an simple operation.

Which brings us to the Mac Studio and Mac Mini — that are not designed to be user accessible. Granted, there are web videos showing how to disassemble and clean these devices, but a better solution for most of us is to prevent dust entering entirely.

How quickly and how much dust builds up is affected by preventative measures like keeping your work area free of dust and working with your laptop on a hard table surface rather than on your lap or a couch.

Some have suggested that elevating the Mac up from your desk surface using a pedestal, or mounting it below your desk will help, but this does nothing to reduce debris from being sucked into the air intake.

Can you use vacuum or compressed air to clean these Macs thoroughly without disassembly? Not really.

The majority of internal dust is deposited on the fan vanes, so using compressed air will force most of the dust deeper into the interior (as well as some out). Vacuum will only pull dust from the interior adjacent to the air screen and won’t reach deeper than the fan into interior areas.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 7.56.11 AM.png

The proper solution is to cover the Mac air inlet with a filter material and then clean the filter when it gets dirty with a vacuum and/or compressed air. I recommend open cell foam.

Open cell foam filter material is used in motorsports and comes with different cell grades depending on air flow needs. Larger cell sizes allow more air and bigger dust particles to pass through, smaller cells are more flow restrictive but capture smaller dust particles. Note that some common packing material is open cell foam that allows air to pass through. You can check if it’s open cell foam by trying to blow air through it.

No Cost Solution

Here’s a solution using open cell foam packing material from a Mac laptop computer box. There's not an enough air flow restriction to raise the internal Mac temperatures a measurable amount. You can check internal component temperatures using the iStat Menu app.

screenshot-2022-11-18-at-10-38-10-am-png.2115466.png
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 10.58.22 AM.png

$20 Solution

Most motorsport air filter manufacturers like UNI sell sheets of foam air filter material. Their BF-1 offers the smallest cell size — and therefore the best filtration.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 10.16.04 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 10.35.10 AM.png

https://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-6...ocphy=9003113&hvtargid=pla-570358928878&psc=1

I highly recommend using thicker filter material to assure a larger filtered flow area all around and from below. As the filter material collects dust, the resistance to air flow will increase causing temperatures to rise — so more filter material will extend the cleaning interval. It will also offers less flow resistance as the fans speed up to handle higher internal temperatures.

Cut to size and place the foam under the Mac Studio as a base — its weight will compress the foam enough to cover the air inlet holes if the foam is over 1/2-inch thick. Air now needs to flow though the foam to reach the Mac air inlets.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 10.32.01 AM.png

Shown are two layers of UNI Filter BF-1 material designed to protect motorsport engines.

$80 Solution

The link below is a post by a talented Croatia product designer named Gjuroo who designed an air filter cabinet that fits beneath the Mac Studio/Mini. Follow the links to purchase the 3D printer files ($20), choose your cabinet color, print the files ($40) and add the Uni filter ($20) or suggested automobile cabin filter ($10).

How to clean the Mac Studio from dust ? | MacRumors Forum

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 10.49.24 AM.png

Pasted Graphic.jpg

Pasted Graphic 1.jpg

Pasted Graphic 2.jpg
Pasted Graphic 4.jpg

Pasted Graphic 5.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rom-dust.2338827/?post=31936415#post-31936415

Last edited:

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
This is one of the things that bothered me before I bought my Max. Since I received it in November it has been raised on a perforated monitor riser and it definitely helps to keep the dust at a minimum. I do check and clean what is sucked in regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_7869.jpeg
    IMG_7869.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 152

Gjuroo

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2023
Gjuroo --

That's a VERY nice design in reply 16 above.
That could become a commercially-available product.

Hmmm...
Have you given any consideration to obtaining a patent on your design?
(before others steal it...?)
It is already commercially-available product. 3D printing model is available on CGTrader.
Shazaam! bought it, left a very nice review and also wrote an article in other topic:
LINK

Patents are pricey and the whole process of development and production is just too expensive and time consuming for two of us. We would defenitely need an investor to protect the product and start the production of some more serious casing.

So far, i guess we offer a quite decent product to MacStudio community.

Reactions: majus and Shazaam!

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Just got one of these from Amazon. So far so good!! Looks good and seems to be effective. Easy to clean.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Dang, not available in the UK

‘Less than 5C temperature increase’ seems like quite a high temp increase to be boasting about, though! I’d rather it had some kind of foam in there rather than just another layer of perforated holes

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Dang, not available in the UK

It is but at £45:

Reactions: GlenK and Sharky II

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Mac Studio vs. Dust

$20 Solution

Most motorsport air filter manufacturers like UNI sell sheets of foam air filter material. Their BF-1 offers the smallest cell size — and therefore the best filtration.

View attachment 2166783

View attachment 2166789
https://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-6...ocphy=9003113&hvtargid=pla-570358928878&psc=1

I highly recommend using thicker filter material to assure a larger filtered flow area all around and from below. As the filter material collects dust, the resistance to air flow will increase causing temperatures to rise — so more filter material will extend the cleaning interval. It will also offers less flow resistance as the fans speed up to handle higher internal temperatures.

Cut to size and place the foam under the Mac Studio as a base — its weight will compress the foam enough to cover the air inlet holes if the foam is over 1/2-inch thick. Air now needs to flow though the foam to reach the Mac air inlets.

View attachment 2166799

Shown are two layers of UNI Filter BF-1 material designed to protect motorsport engines.
Two layers of the 5/8th inch foam did not compress enough in my case. Perhaps I have less RAM and internal storage than you :) I cut a rough circle in one layer big enough to accommodate the Studio and it fit in nicely.

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
Two layers of the 5/8th inch foam did not compress enough in my case. Perhaps I have less RAM and internal storage than you :) I cut a rough circle in one layer big enough to accommodate the Studio and it fit in nicely.
I did the same thing with the UNI filter material.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't think I would use the word "really"(safe), as the static electricity that most floor "hoovers" generate in the pickup and hose can be "really" devastating to electronics. You CAN use vacuums that are designed for service shops, which are supposed to reduce the generation of static electricity, and those vacuums can be considered "somewhat" safe, maybe even to the point of "really" safe.
I use a handheld, similar to this one - https://www.amazon.com/Compressed-Keyboard-Generation-Portable-Electric/dp/B098T5WMMK

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
I'm going with the idea that the new Mac Pro will likely be out of my price range so I will be buying a Studio at some point after the new Mac Pro is announced. Toward that end I am planning dust protection and plan to build my own.

I will use a very cheap Intel Mini bought on eBay for next to nothing, gut it and use the case upside down, allowing the Studio to sit on it over the large opening. If there is a market for the removed computer parts I can sell those to recoup all of the Mini cost.

My design will have the following features:
1. Front-facing power button on the Mini casing to power everything on. I do not like the rear power button.
2. Up to four 5V micro fans located at the rear of the Mini casing to blow air into the casing and up to the Studio through a dust filter -- maybe the same Mitsubishi Mirage cabin filter mentioned earlier in this thread.

Everything (electronics, fans and power button mechanism) will be built onto a plate which will be installed using side slots, easily removed for whatever maintenance may be necessary.

If I end up buying the Studio and building this I will post pictures in case anyone wants to build their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: loby

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I have Mac Pro 2013 and I have noticed to dust it out once a year (at least). Is it REALLY needed...maybe after 3 years probably (depending on one's surrounding environment). At least Mac Pro 2013 gave us the ability to open an dust it out. The unit in design of course had it issues, but at least Apple gave us this option.

But..Mac Studio by design does not offer this option. Does Apple believe it is not necessary? or...is it a throw-away item in their mind with no option to prolong its use more than their projected 5-7 years.

Users SEEM to want to keep this for more than Apple's lifetime cycles, but does Apple just believe (or data suggests) that after 5 years, users will buy the next late and greatest? I am one who keeps my expensive purchases as long as I can. Have Mac Pro 2023 since 2016 and it is still used. I keep my Apple products well over the "obsolete" declaration.

Those who purchased Mac Studio (its been now about a year), have you noticed dust build up etc.

Curious... Maybe Apple's design since 2011 or so (Mac Pro 2013) has improved, therefore no longer a need really to have to open to dust out. YES..it will have "some" dust over the year(s), but maybe not as much as before offering from Apple.

Anyone who has Mac Studio, please comment..I am sure many who want one (or waiting for an M2 Studio) are curious...thanks!

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
I'm going with the idea that the new Mac Pro will likely be out of my price range so I will be buying a Studio at some point after the new Mac Pro is announced. Toward that end I am planning dust protection and plan to build my own.

I will use a very cheap Intel Mini bought on eBay for next to nothing, gut it and use the case upside down, allowing the Studio to sit on it over the large opening. If there is a market for the removed computer parts I can sell those to recoup all of the Mini cost.

My design will have the following features:
1. Front-facing power button on the Mini casing to power everything on. I do not like the rear power button.
2. Up to four 5V micro fans located at the rear of the Mini casing to blow air into the casing and up to the Studio through a dust filter -- maybe the same Mitsubishi Mirage cabin filter mentioned earlier in this thread.

Everything (electronics, fans and power button mechanism) will be built onto a plate which will be installed using side slots, easily removed for whatever maintenance may be necessary.

If I end up buying the Studio and building this I will post pictures in case anyone wants to build their own.
I like the idea (and looks) of using the Mini as a filter casing.
My suggestion is to remove a circular portion of the Mini top surface, remove the Mini internals and fill the interior space with air filter foam material. The air is now drawn through the Mini bottom air intake and through the Mini rear now-open rear panel. The Studio fan will draw the air through the filter without any problem so there's no need for additional fans (noise). You'll need to seal the Mini-to-Studio surface to prevent air leakage.

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
I have Mac Pro 2013 and I have noticed to dust it out once a year (at least). Is it REALLY needed...maybe after 3 years probably (depending on one's surrounding environment). At least Mac Pro 2013 gave us the ability to open an dust it out. The unit in design of course had it issues, but at least Apple gave us this option.

But..Mac Studio by design does not offer this option. Does Apple believe it is not necessary? or...is it a throw-away item in their mind with no option to prolong its use more than their projected 5-7 years.

Users SEEM to want to keep this for more than Apple's lifetime cycles, but does Apple just believe (or data suggests) that after 5 years, users will buy the next late and greatest? I am one who keeps my expensive purchases as long as I can. Have Mac Pro 2023 since 2016 and it is still used. I keep my Apple products well over the "obsolete" declaration.

Those who purchased Mac Studio (its been now about a year), have you noticed dust build up etc.

Curious... Maybe Apple's design since 2011 or so (Mac Pro 2013) has improved, therefore no longer a need really to have to open to dust out. YES..it will have "some" dust over the year(s), but maybe not as much as before offering from Apple.

Anyone who has Mac Studio, please comment..I am sure many who want one (or waiting for an M2 Studio) are curious...thanks!

The dust buildup is internal, particularly on the fan vanes. Owners who use compressed air simply push the debris deeper into the Studio interior. Owners who use a vacuum are unable to reach into the deep interior to dislodge debris. Owners who buy elevating devices that have a pattern of 1mm holes to stop the big stuff are doing nothing to prevent dust entry. Owners who insist that it's a non-issue have no understanding of heat transfer.

Apple has designed the system to keep the temperatures low, but over time the net result is that the fans will have to ramp up and run at higher speeds, and more often, to handle the reduced emissivity of hot dust-covered heatsinks and the reduced airflow through dust-clogged fans.

Mac Studio vs. Dust

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dust-prevention.2345754/page-2?post=32003685#post-32003685

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 9.26.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 9.26.17 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The dust buildup is internal, particularly on the fan vanes. Owners who use compressed air simply push the debris deeper into the Studio interior. Owners who use a vacuum are unable to reach into the deep interior to dislodge debris. Owners who buy elevating devices that have a pattern of 1mm holes to stop the big stuff are doing nothing to prevent dust entry. Owners who insist that it's a non-issue have no understanding of heat transfer.

Apple has designed the system to keep the temperatures low, but over time the net result is that the fans will have to ramp up and run at higher speeds, and more often, to handle the reduced emissivity of hot dust-covered heatsinks and the reduced airflow through dust-clogged fans.

Mac Studio vs. Dust

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dust-prevention.2345754/page-2?post=32003685#post-32003685
So what can be done...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.