Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phl92

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
My wife is an artist and she has 2 iPads, one has 128GB the other is 10+ years old and has only 32 GB storage. She also has a iPhone 15 Pro with 1 TB storage and 6months ago she upgraded to a 2TB iCloud storage. I am not such a heavy photo/video user therefore I never ran into such issues:

Her iPads are full (I saw on the new one she had the „Optimise Photos“ option deactivated because some weeks ago she wanted to show some photos in good quality on her iPad without any internet. It did not work back then (some photos were not downloaded for some reason) but the result is now, that her iPad is super full because on her phone she keeps around 300GB of storage for videos and phones.

How is it possible to delete photos/videos on a iPad locally without effecting other devices? If we delete a photo on iPad it also gets deleted on her phone!!

Is it possible to create a new Apple ID only for the iPads?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Assuming you have good backups of your photos in a 3-2-1 backup plan if you turn off iCloud Photos, maybe even logout of your AppleID, then any deletions of photos remaining on your iPad won't be deleted from your other devices.

Note that space management is a gray area and deleting things may or may not give you immediate space savings. Be sure to keep 30% of your storage free.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Did you re-enable “Optimize Photos”?
I’ve not tried disabling that feature in the first place but according to its description it’s for exactly this sort of situation, no?

Generally, though, this seems like a feature that should be added - similar to how you can “Remove Download” after making something from iCloud available on a device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.