Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Hi,
I have a 12" Rev C Powerbook Superdrive spanned to an older 17" CRT Studio Display. The setup is great. However, when I want to unplug the Studio Display and move my Powerbook somewhere else, the Powerbook screen goes black (which is normal, it is just resetting for single screen settings), however most of the time the curser arrow does not appear. Because of this, I have to plug in and unplug my monitor a second time, and then the curser will come back. Does anyone know the correct procedure to unplug the monitor and keep the curser on the Powerbook?

Thanks

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
It's Easy

Make sure your pointer is on the 12" PB screen before you unplug your external monitor. I have the same problem. If my pointer appears on my external monitor, and then I unplug it, the pointer disappears from my PB screen. It's annoying, and I see it more as a bug.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
is it USB? Also, should we be turning off the laptops when unplugging standard CRT monitors? I've always been leery of plugging these in, or just unplugging them.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Balin64 said:
Make sure your pointer is on the 12" PB screen before you unplug your external monitor. I have the same problem. If my pointer appears on my external monitor, and then I unplug it, the pointer disappears from my PB screen. It's annoying, and I see it more as a bug.

That still doesn't always work for me. :(

I even try clicking a few times on the PB screen just to really confirm that it is on the PB screen, but still it doesn't always work.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Damn, Sorry Friend

KevRC4130 said:
That still doesn't always work for me. :(

I even try clicking a few times on the PB screen just to really confirm that it is on the PB screen, but still it doesn't always work.

I don't know what to tell you. Good Luck!

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Make sure you are moving the mouse as you unplug. I had and still have this problem if i don't move the mouse. Best way to get it back is to plug the monitor back in, while still moving the mouse.

I thought i was the only one.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
csubear said:
Make sure you are moving the mouse as you unplug. I had and still have this problem if i don't move the mouse. Best way to get it back is to plug the monitor back in, while still moving the mouse.

I thought i was the only one.

I second that! I had a Rev. D and it would do that if I was not moving the mouse from time to time.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
KevRC4130 said:
Because of this, I have to plug in and unplug my monitor a second time, and then the curser will come back. Does anyone know the correct procedure to unplug the monitor and keep the curser on the Powerbook?
Thanks
I'm sorry but I just find this really funny when I read the post.

Hopefully, csubear has solved your problem

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
angelneo said:
I'm sorry but I just find this really funny when I read the post.

Hopefully, csubear has solved your problem

Why is it funny? I'm not taking any offence, I honestly don't see anything funny about it...

Oh, and I left out a crucial point. It's not that the curser isn't there, but it is invisible. Like if I go to the dock, the icons will magnify, yet there isn't actually an arrow/curser moving. It is very strange. You can click and move things around normally, you just can't see it.

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
It might be that you are talking about a cursor. A curser is someone that curses (swears). It doesn't strike me as a particularly funny typo, but hey, it takes all kinds.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Simon Liquid said:
It might be that you are talking about a cursor. A curser is someone that curses (swears). It doesn't strike me as a particularly funny typo, but hey, it takes all kinds.

Ha, my bad. Well you know what I meant :rolleyes:

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
What if you log out and log back in? Does the cursor come back when you do that? What if the computer is sleeping when you unplug the monitor. My first inclination would be to make sure the computer is asleep when I disconnect. Not having an external monitor, I have no way to check this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.