Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Every time I sync iTunes 12 with my iPhone 4S (iOS7.1.2), and change what songs/audiobooks I have on the Phone, iTunes doesn't delete the old files. It removes the files from playlists, but the files remain on the phone hidden, meaning that I have less and less space on the phone, which is incredibly annoying, as I have to reset the phone on a regular basis.

So how can I manually delete the files? I tried using iFunbox, but couldn't find out where the files are located.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Every time I sync iTunes 12 with my iPhone 4S (iOS7.1.2), and change what songs/audiobooks I have on the Phone, iTunes doesn't delete the old files. It removes the files from playlists, but the files remain on the phone hidden, meaning that I have less and less space on the phone, which is incredibly annoying, as I have to reset the phone on a regular basis.

So how can I manually delete the files? I tried using iFunbox, but couldn't find out where the files are located.
Those files may be located in iTunes folder. But finding out which file is the one you are about to delete is an impossible task. iOS uses database and maybe metadata files to store music information. All files stored in iOS are named in a pattern of 4 uppercase-letter and number. Like this: F4AH.m4a
You can choose to let it accumulate, and use iFunBox to delete the entire iTunes folder on your iPhone. Let iTunes on your Mac to resync all files after then. You may need to choose "set up as a new device" when being asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.