Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoundOrange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
I am finding when I am on an existing FaceTime call, if another FaceTime call is inbound at the same time it always interrupts with an "End & Accept" button, and there is an audible FaceTime "beep beep, beep beep" sound when the call is incoming, even when the iPhone physical tab on the side is set to silent.

This becomes a problem as the person on the other end of the existing call can here the "beep beep" on my end, and it persists if the third caller keeps calling over and over.

Is this normal behavior for FaceTime call waiting? I am trying to find a way to disable to audible "beep beep" sound or suppress call waiting in FaceTime, I can see there is an optional for celluar, but is it the same for FaceTime?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Guess here: maybe an Automation in Shortcuts?

A personal Automation allows you to setup "when FaceTime is opened, set Do Not Disturb to On". Can have it ask before running or have it automatically run. Might quiet everything.

RoundOrange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
Is really strange, even with the phone physically set to "silent" and with do not disturb "on" the "beep beep" still comes through on Facetime, it appears Facetime can't be diverted when already in FaceTime call.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Another guess: maybe the settings of Do not Disturb.

You have DnD setup as "Silence: Always", and "Allow Calls" to something other than "Everyone"?

If so, can see as it's possibly a "feature" to deal with group Facetimes.

RoundOrange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
It looks like you are correct, in the actual settings of Do Not Disturb, I seem to be able to suppress all callers with the settings cranked way up, i never knew that.

So, just turning on "Do Not Disturb" on the actual contact wasn't enough, I actually had to go into the Settings and tinker a bit, thanks!

Reactions: orbital~debris

RoundOrange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
It seems when all the Do Not Disturb options are on, it will suppress a FaceTime call from ringing the iPhone. But what I have found, if you are in an active FaceTime session, the DND does not suppress the second caller from interrupting the FaceTime session - they can still call through even though DND is on whilst the other FaceTime session is active.

Does anyone out there have three iPhones they can replicate this on (FaceTime Caller 1 & Caller 2, then Caller 3 interrupting?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.